Best times for snorkeling in Maui

Nov 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Best times for snorkeling in Maui

I am planning a trip to Maui and want to go when the water is not cold and the swells don't prevent us from snorkeling. Is it okay at the beginning of March or should I wait until later.

Thank you.
Love to snorkel
Nov 20th, 2009, 07:34 PM

I have snorkeled in Maui in Jan-Mar and the water was never too cold. Water temps Summer months though are even a few degrees warmer. It is nice however in the non-summer months to wear a thin "dive shirt" which you can buy at any Maui dive shop. All year long the waves and water clarity will vary daily and be different at different dive spots. The local dive shops in Maui will tell you which snorkeling areas are the best on any given day. You can stop in the shop and ask or call them on the phone.
Happy snorkeling!
Nov 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM

March(or any time in Winter) isnt too cold to snorkel in Maui. Like Bob we wear dive shirts, but only because they are SPF 40+ and help us keep sunburns at bay.

There are a few dive spots that cloud up during hi surf, but there are others that are protected and fine even during monster swells. If you have never been, its great. Its like swimming in an aquarium.
Nov 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your information. I was hoping to primarily snorkel at Napili Bay. Is that an area where there are generally no swells?

Thank you.
Nov 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Napili Bay like all beaches in Maui can vary from flat to small, med, or large swells on a weekly or daily basis. So there is no way to predict swells in advance. On any given day you have to either ask the local dive shop or just show up at the beach and check it out for yourself. However, one thing is pretty consistent-----anywhere in Maui the snorkeling will usually be better before noon than after noon. In my experience, the best snorkeling in that area is often the bay just North of Napili Bay called Kapalua Bay. Another awesome snorkeling spot if the surf is calm is Honolua Bay a few miles north of Napili. Since each spot offers a different underwater landscape, it's fun to experience all the good spots.
Nov 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpfulness. Years ago I went to Kapalua and enjoyed the snorkeling there as well.