Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best Snorkeling in Maui & the Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!

My husband and I are VERY avid snorkelers, and would to know what you consider the best snorkling spots in Maui and the Big Island (Hawaii).

Thanks so much for the help!!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Can't help with Maui but we had a terrific day snorkeling on the Big Island at Kealakekua Bay. The best site is on the north side of the bay by the white obelisk Captain Cook memorial. You can't get there by car so it isn't crowded. There are 2 ways of getting there. One is to take an organized trip, I think the boat is called Fairwinds and it stays there for the morning. We rented a kayak and paddled across the bay to the snorkel site, so we were able to stay there all day after the boat had gone. Takes about half an hour to paddle across if you don't hurry! You rent the kayaks from outfitters up the hill on the main road, and they load them on your car. The one our B&B people recommended was called Kealakekua Bay Kayak and their website is www.konakayak.com. They seemed very good.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 04:48 AM

A few years ago my husband and two kids took the fairwinds trip on the Big Island and had a great time but we had unbelievable snorkeling just next to the historic site run by the national park service-I forgot the name of it, sorry. We were told about the area by the surf shop we rented our equipment from on Oahu. It is an area that is used to teach scuba diving and didn't have alot of snorkellers because it isn't a park- I think it was called three step (or some number like that)becude you walk on to a few stones into the water and the water is immmediately very deep-it was difficult getting out of the water because the current either hit you up against the rock or pulled you back out but I'm An overweight Mom and still with the help of some people standing on the rocks was able to get ou and the snorkelling was well worth the effort!!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM

The better snorkeling spots on Maui include the Fishbowl and Aquarium in South Maui, and Black Rock at Ka'anapali Beach in West Maui.

You could also do a snorkel trip to Molokini. My wife and I chose not to because of all the great (and free) spots mentioned above.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Black rock, nice and free, also very good grills to eat. Wailia beaches, several places to snorkle from the beach and yes free.Lanai( spelling may not be correct) zodiac snorkle trip,very adventerous. Four winds snorkle trip to molikini and turtle town or any boat that goes from port nearest to your hotel ( probally lahana docks ). Note buy your own mask and snorkle( you probally have them)flippers would be nice also but take up lots of room in suitcase. nick
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Maui-our favorite spot was Honolua Bay (if you have Maui revealed see the beautiful picture on pg. 2-3) Apparently conditions are quite variable but were perfect when we were there(summer). Molikini-OK snorkeling but very crowded. Did an ocean rafting trip to Lanai with Capt Steve that included snorkeling which was also fun.
Big Island-Capt. Cook Monument was great. Took the Fairwinds tour which was very enjoyable (we are going back in July and I recently bid on ebay for tickets and got them for about 1/2 price). Very good snorkeling at Honaunau Bay-by the boat launch near "the Place of Refuge". Also had good luck at Kahaluu Beach park-very easy access.