Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP with activities in rainy Charleston??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headed to charleston and a grim weather report - an unusual amount of rain is expected (according to the weather channel)

Any unique (or not so unique) ideas for things to do while we wait for the sun to reappear?

Help please, we leave soon! Thanks.

PS: Will we need boots?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Go to the Market. The Aquarium is excellent. Take an umbrella and hit the shops. Some of the carriages will be covered, take a ride. Don't let the forecast worry you. Charleston is glorious, rain or shine, and lots of flowers are blooming! Have a great trip.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:20 AM

If you like art museums, Charleston's Gibbes Museum is in the heart of the downtown historic district. Also downtown is the College of Charleston with its very good art gallery in the art building. Their rotating art exhibits are usually excellent.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Happy to hear lots of flowers are blooming in Charleston--can you elaborate? I'll be there soon too.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Hit the visitor center. Go to the Charleston Museum, across the street from the visitor center. Visit lots of houses. Somewhat in order of my preference are: Edmondston-Alston, Nathaniel Russell, Rhett-Aiken, Heyward-Washington, and Calhoun Mansion. Eat at lots of great restaurants. The aquarium is a great idea, as is the market, since it is covered. Everytime the sun does shine, run outside. If you are into photography at all, overcast conditions can be wonderful for taking closeup shots of the flowers. Personally, I like Charleston a whole lot more when the sun is shining because it really allows you to appreciate the beautiful houses more, but it is great in about any weather.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

ellen, we are getting an unusual amount of rain right now but I think it is supposed to be over in the next day or so. When are you coming?

The South Carolina Aquarium would be a great thing to do. Also, shopping in the shops at Charleston Place. It is like a mini upscale shopping mall. The Market is also covered and you will stay dry.

The rain really shouldn't bother you too much.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, i appreciate your replies.

GoTravel, where is Charleston Place? I've read there are two malls, one in sommerville? Would prefer staying in the historic area if possible.

I'll have my laptop so please keep the suggestions coming!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Charleston Place is right downtown. Go have tea or lunch at the hotel www.charlestonplace.com

You will have a great time!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

Charleston Place sits between Meeting Street and King Street and Market ends at CP.

Where are you staying Ellen?

Tea at CP is a great idea.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Check with the Charleton Historical Society to see if they are having any Homes Tours when you are there. Visiting the Hunley Submarine was interesting. I second the Visitors Center it is awesome. There are bus driven tours leaving from the VC a couple of times an hour and you really learn and see a lot especially if it is raining and can't go out walking around.
Barb
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Bring your boots!!!! Charleston often floods when the tide is high.