Help - unable to edit NYC trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying for what seems like hours to edit Part I of my trip report before posting it. I have numerous typos and changes, and have tried repeatedly to correct them to no avail. Numerous times I have clicked 'edit', made the desired changes, and then clicked 'preview my message' only to find each time that no changes have been made.

Is it the time of night about 4 - 6am EST, or could it be the length of the report? It's quite long. I finally deleted it (after making a copy) and will try again later.

I'd hate to retype it and have the same thing happen. Any ideas or suggestions?????

I have seen other reports just as long, and I had intended to do Part II also. Maybe Fodor's is telling me something ;-)

(It just the 'edits' on this message), so why not the longer one?
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Last sentence should have read, 'it just made the edits on this message.'

Nina
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:30 AM

I don't know Nina. I'd just copy what you've typed and paste it on a "clip board" and edit it on the clipboard and then put it back in on the Fodor's box corrected. You could also try shortening it a bit ("cut" a few paragraphs with the edit funcion and paste them on a clip board) and try editing with it shorter to see if that helps.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM

You can keep the report on the same thread but in shorter pieces by just responding to yourself.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM

There does seem to be a maximum length of about 400 - 500 words that the Fodors message boxes are comfortable wtih. I would recommend that you produce your report in your usual word-processing software and then cut-and-paste it into one fodors thread by using the Reply function (as mclaurie suggested) to post just a few hundred words at a time.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 03:20 AM
lovingheart

I found that typing messages in Word and then copying and pasting them into Fodors didn't work well; it introduced punctuation and other errors.

I have had no problems since somebody advised me to type directly into the reply box.

I am unaware that it is possible to edit a message onece posted.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 03:58 AM
OO

You can't edit once posted, lovingheart, but there is an edit function prior to posting.

Nina, I've found that if your post is too long, changes just don't take in the edit function. It isn't so long it doesn't post at all, but it will post with all your errors intact.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:08 AM

To avoid the problems with cutting and pasting from word, you can type your post originally in notepad (found under the accessories menu if you have any version of windows). You should not see formatting errors then when you post.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll shorten Part I and try to post to post it later today. As I've done with a past trip report, I do add addl. info by replying to my original post.