Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help please with trip to Arizona, Utah etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Ga. and are planning a trip to celebrate our son's high school graduation in early June. We plan to start at the Grand Canyon but can't decide where to go from there. My sons have never been out west and we want a memorable trip. We have thought of Sedona, Page, Monument Valley. Your suggestions are appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM

We plan to start at the Grand Canyon but can't decide where to go from there. My sons have never been out west and we want a memorable trip. We have thought of Sedona, Page, Monument Valley.

Add Moab (Canyonlands and Arches National Parks), Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks and maybe Canyon de Chelly and you pretty much have it covered ... two weeks would be about right for all these.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM

You should book your Grand Canyon reservations soon. www.xanterra.com.

The website shows that Thunderbird and Kachina Lodges, the two "modern" lodges at the South Rim, which are the ones that allow three to a room (two queen beds), are almost fully booked for June. That leaves Maswik and Yavapai, which are not as close to the rim, but still better than staying outside the park. El Tovar is also full, and Bright Angel doesn't allow rollaways in the double rooms.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:13 PM

If you plan on visiting more than a couple of National parks or monuments or any BLM or Forest Service lands which charge admission fee, might want to consider getting an America the Beautiful pass for $80. (formerly called National Parks Pass) A number of the larger parks are now charging $25 per week entrance fee. This pass is good for a calendar year and can be picked up at your first stop.

To get information on the various parks go to www.nps.gov and click on the parks you want information on.

A couple of the places you mentioned are best seen at certain times of the day. In Page, Antelope Canyon is best from 11-2 for photos. Don't go on a cloudy day. Monument Valley good anytime is especially nice at sunrise and sunset. You will need to arrange a tour if you want to see anything off the "tourist loop". Be sure to ask if they take you to Mystery Valley which is near Monument Valley but has lots more in the way of ruins and rock art than does Monument.

If you don't mind missing the Grand Canyon on this trip you might consider flying into Bozeman or Billings, MT. You could get three of the best parks in the country within a (long) day's drive - Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier. Flowers will be out but the Going to Sun Road in Glacier probably will not be open til later in the month at the earliest.

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for the help!!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Whoopw!!! Thank you THREE for the help!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM

You can usually get good prices to fly into and out of Las Vegas, which is also a fun place to see. However, you should spend most of your time in the Utah parks. You can drive to Zion in 3 hours, spend 2-3 nights there, on to Bryce, maybe Capitol Reef, then over to Moab (another 2-3 nights or better, 4)to see Arches and Canyonlands. Be sure to hike to Delicate Arch in Moab. You can do all of this in a week to 10 days.

Then you can see the Grand Canyon, either the North Rim, which is higher and more covered with trees--and therefore cooler than the South Rim, or the South Rim, which is a longer way around. You go through Page, and can see the Arizona sights in another 5-7 nights. If you're interested in taking a mule ride down into the Grand Canyon (which can be done from either Rim), check immediately to find out if it's too late to reserve your mules.

It may already be too late to raft the Colorado River, but you can get good raft rides out of Moab. River rafting would be something most memorable for your boys (and for all of you).

Put any of these names (Zion, Moab, Grand Canyon, Arches NP, etc.) in the search box above and you will get scads of information. Have a great trip!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:21 AM

A couple of suggestions. So far the advice on locations is right on. After you get your rental car, stop and get a case of bottled water and drink lots. Be sure to take a bottle each on hikes, especially to Delicate Arch (not to be missed). Second, take lots of photos! Easy to toss some that may not be too good rather than miss some you'll regret later. While in Moab, take the river drive and see Castle Valley, etc. Enjoy!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:26 AM

PS: Forgot that you are from such a humid climate. Get each person a saline nose spray and use several times a day. It's DRY out here. Large-brimmed hats and lip balm are also a must as are good sunglasses. Start a walking exercise program now so you can better enjoy the higher altitudes. Every hike is uphill - or so it seems.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:13 AM

cbennet,
How much time do you have? With enough time, you can do a loop that begins in GCanyon for a few nights, stop at Lake Powell if you're interested (we've always skipped it because we find it depressing). Or head to Monument Valley and stay a night nearby. We've visited MV but prefer staying north in Valley of the Gods. There is a remarkable B&B (Valley of the Gods B&B) set right in the middle of this gorgeous red rock valley. You can see MV from the front porch.
From there, you can drive the Moki Dugway to Natural Bridges NM or head to the Needles District of Canyonlands on your way to Moab. Be sure to spend 3 nights in Moab - lots to see including Arches NP (one of my favorites). Amazing scenery everywhere, rafting on the Colorado, 4wd trips, petroglyphs, hiking.
Leaving Moab, head to Torrey and Capitol Reef for a few nights. Enroute you can detour to Goblins SP, Sego Canyon. Captitol Reef is a grand place with few visitors - the geology of the area is fascinating and so much fun to explore. Torrey is small but has a few nice places to stay and eat. Austin's Chuckwagon has a pool, nice rooms and a good deli for portable lunches. Be sure you bring a good sized foldable cooler with you - a definite must. We always have several gallon jugs of water in the car and use them to keep filling quart-sized bottles in the cooler.
From Torrey, we love staying a night in nearby Boulder just because the town is so pretty, (there are lots of trees!) and we can eat at Hell's Backbone Grill - great place in the middle of nowhere. The Burr Trail starts right in Boulder and you may want to drive it a ways into Long Canyon - you can check out a neat little "slot" canyon right near the road. You can just drive thru Boulder and Grand Staircase Escalante, maybe stop and hike at Calf Creek Falls along the way to Bryce. Stay a night at Bryce (or longer). Then to Zion for several nights. Lots to do in both parks and the scenery is breathtaking but very different at the 2 parks.
You should fly into Las Vegas for this itineray - cheaper flights and rental vehicles. We always rent a 4wd SUV so we can go where we want without worrying too much and have plenty of room. We've gotten great prices from Alamo and Dollar for SUV rentals.
I hope this helps. I'm inclined to think your sons would enjoy the diversity and uniqueness of the many national parks over Sedona. There is a lot of driving involved but we have done this trip several times and have had plenty of time for hiking and exploring (and relaxing). We really enjoy active vacations anyways. Here is a link to pictures from one of our trips:
http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah04
Be sure to ask lots of questions - you will receive lots of terrific information from the good folks on Fodors. Have fun planning!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:59 AM

I also vote for Arches, Zion and Bryce, and of course the Grand Canyon. Arches is my favorite National Park, so far!!!!! Lots of fun hikes!! Definitely do the hike to Deliacte Arch and the hike into Devil's Garden is great!!!!

In Zion, be sure to do the Angel's Landing hike...one of my favorite hikes anywhere!!!!
One other thing, Four Corners Monument is cool only for the fact that you can stand in UT,CO,NM & AZ all at once.
If you get out that way, Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Shay) has really amazing cliff dwellings, as does Mesa Verde National Park in southwestern Colorado. If you've never seen cliff dwellings, you'll be amazed!!!!

If you fly into Vegas, and drive anywhere in southern Utah/northern Arizona, you won't be disappointed!!
Have a great trip!!!
Happy travels
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:46 AM

I agree with all the advice you've been given I have taken this trip a few times I loved it so much. A couple of additions are- Moab is a wonderful place that you could easily spend a week there alone. Don't miss it. The rafting there was great. The parks are awesome. We rented a Jeep for a day and drove through Canyonlands N.P. It was really great too. The drive from Moab to Bryce was really beautiful. It goes through Capital Reef N.P., Grand Staircase N.P., and Escalente N.p. All worthy of spending time. As previosly mentioned,Hell's Backbone Grill was a great place to have dinner in the middle of nowhere. One day at Bryce is sufficient. I would only spend 1 day @ Grand Canyon. It's beautiful, but a day will do it. Zion N.P. was really great. We stayed at The Desert Pearl Inn, and it was my favorite place to stay ever. It was right outside the park, really nice, great view, and not too pricey. LOVED IT!!!!! Make sure you hike the Zion Narrows. Rent shoes from Canyon Outfitters, and have one of the most memorable days ever. Sedona Arizona is really beautiful too. We had a great time @ Sliderock Park, and did the jeep tour there. We had a great time. We also did a hot air balloon ride there too. We liked it alot, but it gets to heights that you can get to by car or on foot, so I would save that for a place that you can't get that high on your own.We also did a float trip from Paige Az., and that was great. You float down the Colorado River near the Grand Canyon. The scenery is magnificent. Make sure to take a short hike to Horseshoe Bend after for an unbeatable birds eye view of the river you were just floating on. Have fun. I know that YOU WILL.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 08:11 AM

We will be going to Page for the float trip, coming from the south rim of the GC. I figured we'll do the early trip (7:00) as the afternoon trip (1:00)will probably be too hot for me in July. Where should we stay...family of 5...in Page?
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM

I have a couple of small southwest day trip loops on my blog, New Mexico:
http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...p-in-west.html)

and and Route 66 in Arizona
http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...-route-66.html

I agree with Photodog about Montana. Here's a great Montana loop from Missoula to Glacier and back:
(http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...oad-trips.html).

After the Glacier loop, heading south from Missoula to Yellowstone and Grand Teton would be one HECK of a great trip. Just take the time to enjoy it.

Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com