Help please! JFK to New Jersey transport

Jan 20th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Help please! JFK to New Jersey transport

I've trawled through similar posts but most are a few years old and things may have changed. Would really appreciate some up to date advice as we haven't visited New York before and didn't realise that the hotel we had booked was in fact in another state and therein lies the problem it seems.
We arrive into JFK at 6.30am from Honolulu and our hotel is the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City, chosen as it is close enough to the cruise port where we depart from the next day and seemed like a good idea. But it seems that there is no simple solution as far as transport from JFK. Is the best way to book a limo service? If so, just how expensive could that be? Or what, if any, are the alternatives? Knowledge from locals is invaluable and I will be eternally grateful for your help, advice and recommendations.
Jan 20th, 2018, 06:07 AM

There are all sorts of ways of taking public transportation that would involve at least 4 trains but save you money. Try Carmel car service. We use them often and they are reliable. My guess with tolls and tips about $110.
Jan 20th, 2018, 06:17 AM

How many are in your group?

A car service would be easiest, but might be quite pricey. You might contact Dial7 or Carmel, two well-considered car services, for quotes. I would expect the cost to be at least $150, between cost of ride, tolls, and tip. This drive would take about 70 minutes on a good traffic day.

To make the trip by public transport would take at least 1.5 hours and require you to change trains a number of times--hauling your luggage along the way, possibly up and down stairs.

One example:
1. Purchase a Pay-per-ride MetroCard on which to put all your fares for the rides listed below. ($1)
2. JFK AirTrain to Howard Beach A train subway stop ($5 each)
3. A train from Howard Beach to Chambers St stop in Manhattan ($2.75 each)
4. Walk a few blocks to the PATH train at World Trade Center
5. PATH from World Trade Center to Exchange Place in Jersey City. ($2.75 each) The Hyatt is right above the station.

This example might be beneficial if you wanted to get a look at the new World Trade Center or memorials along the way, although you would be dragging your luggage after a red eye. . .
Jan 20th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your reply. Car service sounds the way to go as hauling luggage after a long flight does not attract!! Much appreciate your recommendation.
Jan 20th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ellenem View Post
How many are in your group?

A car service would be easiest, but might be quite pricey. You might contact Dial7 or Carmel, two well-considered car services, for quotes. I would expect the cost to be at least $150, between cost of ride, tolls, and tip. This drive would take about 70 minutes on a good traffic day.

To make the trip by public transport would take at least 1.5 hours and require you to change trains a number of times--hauling your luggage along the way, possibly up and down stairs.

One example:
1. Purchase a Pay-per-ride MetroCard on which to put all your fares for the rides listed below. ($1)
2. JFK AirTrain to Howard Beach A train subway stop ($5 each)
3. A train from Howard Beach to Chambers St stop in Manhattan ($2.75 each)
4. Walk a few blocks to the PATH train at World Trade Center
5. PATH from World Trade Center to Exchange Place in Jersey City. ($2.75 each) The Hyatt is right above the station.

This example might be beneficial if you wanted to get a look at the new World Trade Center or memorials along the way, although you would be dragging your luggage after a red eye. . .
Hi and thanks for your prompt reply. Your description of the public transport option convinced me that a car service is preferable. There are 2 of us, my husband and myself and both over 70 so don't fancy hauling luggage after a long flight. Thanks your your recommendations, much appreciated.
Jan 21st, 2018, 05:06 PM

With cruise luggage you are probably better off with a car service or just Uber. You might save a few dollars if you take the LIRR to Penn Station then a short taxi ride and then the ferry direct to your hotel. But you are likely to have to deal with carrying luggage. Hence the car service.
Jan 22nd, 2018, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your help and advice. I think that the car service sounds the most logical even if rather pricey, but after a 11 or more hour flight I doubt we want to try to find our way thru various modes of transport in a strange city. We need to reserve our strength to enjoy New York City!

Search this Thread