Best transporation option into Manhattan from Newark

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're arriving late into EWR and we'll stay at the Wyndham Garden Hotel before heading into Manhattan the next day. What is the best way to get into the city - taxi, car service or bus/train from the airport?
I was set to arrange a car from Carmel car service but have seen lots of negative feedback about their service, so I thought I'd ask for other options.
Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM

How many of you are there, how mobile are you, how much stuff will you have, and where do you want to go?

For one or two people without significant luggage, you can take public transit pretty easily and cheaply: Skytrain one stop to Newark Penn Station, then train either to New York Penn Station or PATH train to World Trade Center. If either of those places is close to where you're going (or if you're making a day trip into Manhattan), those routes are an easy and fairly cheap option.

On the other hand, if there are three or four of you, if you have major luggage (e.g., large suitcases or more than one suitcase plus light shoulder bag/backpack per person), or if you're going somewhere in Manhattan that's not near Penn Station or the WTC, then a cab will be convenient, and not outrageously priced. (You'd end up paying for 3-4 fares on a bus, train, etc.) While it definitely will be cheaper than public transit options, express buses etc, you also will enjoy the benefit if something closer to door to door service.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Am not aware of any major complaints against either Carmel of Dial 7 - the two largest basic car services in the city. I have seen some people call them limo services - and that may be the problem. they are NOT limos - they are basic car services - replacements for cabs that you schedule in advance - and that's how they are priced. They are dark sedans, newish and usually in quite good shape - but NOT limos or anything close.

If someone wants a limo service that's fine - but expect to pay WAY more than Dial or Carmel basic rates.

As for best way into the city - this has been answered innumerable times below. And the answer above is a good one. How many of you are there, how much luggage do you have and how much do you mind schlepping it up and down stairs and along long corridors (when you get to the city and have to haul it onto the subway)?

If you tell us that info - and what hotel you are going to - people can give a more specific answer.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM

If it were me, I wouldn't have bothered with the hotel in NJ. But if you are waiting until morning to come into Manhatten, you should not drive in ( as in a car service). Unless you have loads of luggage, take the train, but wait until after 10.

Or better, take a car service on arrival and spend your first nigh in manhattan.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually take the train from EWR into the city. In regard to Carmel, I have used them many times, excellent service, good drivers and always prompt. I recommend them highly.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

There will be three of us and we're going to our hotel at 125 E 50th St. in Midtown. We will have luggage, not tons, but it still might be best to take a car or taxi. I'm not sure how I stumbled across a site that had TONS of complaints about Carmel car service when I was actually trying to pull up the Carmel website. I just got a little nervous after reading all of the poor reviews. I guess only the angry ones take the time to write though. There seemed to be a common theme: they sometimes double or triple charge your card, they add toll charges that don't exist, they sometimes demand tips and they often arrive early (to the wrong location!) and then charge you for the time they had to wait. I guess I'll just use my Am Ex and then not worry about going through their customer service.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Reiterating Doug's comment, why not just head into Manhattan when you arrive - get a good night's sleep and gain an extra morning by already being there! (PS I also use Carmel on occasion and I've never had a problem)
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear that some of you have had very positive experiences. Thanks for your feedback!
We would have gone straight to our Midtown hotel that night but I've had experiences with getting bad rooms when arriving late at night. Plus, that particular night at the hotel was much more expensive than all the other nights. Who knows!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM

I have used Carmel dozens of times - and have never been multiple billed. And I have been billed for tolls only when they used them. As for a tip - yes a tip is expected - 20% is usual. The driver shouldn;t add one - but the patron should give one - just as with a cab. When you call they quote you a fixed price but specifically say this does not include toll or tip.

As for billing for waiting time - if you opt for the "meet and greet" service - yes, they do bill for waiting time. If you don;t want that - then you make a reservation in advance - but set it up so you call when you arrive at the airport and they then send a car (they usually have some having dropped other passengers at the airport) - so they will be there by the time you get your luggage.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM

Lots of threads on this. But, will give the same answer I've given on other threads.

Best depends on how you define best.

Best as in easiest is a car service. If they take you door to door you're set. Issue to consider is the time of day as it could take you 40 minutes on a normal day to get through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel.

Best as in least costly would either be the train or one of the charter buses. The NJ transit link from the airport is fairly easy and about $14 (I believe.)
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Just a note on any car service here. You should NEVER pay waiting time, especially at Newark. Reserve the car in advance with a credit card online. When you have retrieved your bags from baggage claim, then call the car service and they will dispatch a car, which will arrive in about 5 minutes. You'll be told which door to exit from the terminal, and often the driver will also call you on your cell to confirm.

I usually use Dial 7, but I've often used Carmel, and it's fine as well.

You DO have to pay huge tolls (about $10) from EWR into Manhattan, and you are expected to tip at least 15% to 20%. Expect to pay about $70 for the trip.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the details - very helpful!
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Agree with Doug, arrange for the car service, Carmel or Dial7 to meet you on arrival and do advise how many people and definitely how much luggage.

They'll quote a flat rate, plus tolls and tip.
Depending on time of day and amount of traffic (almost always going into NYC), it can take anywhere from 40/min to 1/hr door-to-door.

This way you get to your hotel in NYC on arrival and that's it. No need to go to a hotel in Newark, then arrange for car service next day.