Search

Help on planning a trip to AZ, Grand Canyon & Vegas with a 2 year old

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on planning a trip to AZ, Grand Canyon & Vegas with a 2 year old

Hello,

My husband and I are taking our 2 year old on a short vacation (1 week) the third week of October to Arizona. We fly into Phoenix and plan to drive right to the Sedona area for a night. Then drive up to the Grand Canyon. We have 2 nights there at one of the National Park hotels. Then on to Vegas (I know, I know, not a great family destination, but we are meeting friends from all over the country and this part of the trip was planned before we joined in). After that, we'll head back to Phoenix for a couple of nights before flying home.

If it were just me and my husband, we could easily entertain ourselves with 2 or more nights at the GC, since we love to hike. But neither of us feel hiking there with a 2yo is a good idea. So, now I'm wondering if 2 nights is too long and one of those nights might be better spent elsewhere. Since it's a long drive to Vegas, would it be better to spend a night somewhere in between? Is there any place worth spending a night in between?

Also, can you recommend any good places to stop for some sight-seeing between Vegas & Phoenix.

Our itinerary is not etched in stone, so advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM

There really isn't anything of great entertainment value between the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas if you take the shorter southern route unless you are interested in Old Route 66.

We were in Zion this summer with our 15 month old grandson and he loved riding the shuttle buses. There are the free shuttles at the Grand Canyon to many great view points. This can take many hours to do. Also you might consider getting a child safety harness and then you can walk some of the easy paths along the rim near the visitor center.

http://www.littlesafetyharness.com/

Utahtea
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

If anyone has some advice on this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, something odd was happening with my computer. I didn't see your reply at all yesterday!

I was actually thinking about a harness, for the airport, etc. Our son HATES his stroller and we'd rather not bring it anyway, because it's a PITA to lug around, plus it's not liek a stroller around the GC would work anyway. We are bringing our backpack child carrier, which he's happy to be in for a period of time.

We figured he'd like the bus tour, etc., but I'm wondering if we can really entertain him with that for a full day. I've never been to the GC myself, so I have no frame of reference.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:54 AM

It is possible to use a stroller around the Rim of the Grand Canyon - there are some paved paths and others are often worn enough by foot traffic to make them fairly smooth.

Not trying to be an alarmist, but your 2 year old sounds like a normally active and curious kid - it scares me to death to think of him running/tripping around the edge of the Grand Canyon. We saw too many inattentive parents when we were there last year letting their young kids climb, run, play right at the edge of the Canyon. There is loose rocks, sand, uneven ground there that could easily cause a tragedy. If he is normal resistant-to-directions toddler, then you are going to have to use backpack, firm hand-hold, etc when right at Rim.

The "bus tour" is not really a tour but one of 2 loops of a shuttle bus that takes you to about 10-15 different lookout points over the Canyon. You can see some views from the window, but it really requires getting out at various stops, taking a walk, and taking in the beauty. (The taking in the beauty part is likely not going to last long with a young kid). Many kids like the bus ride thing.

At the South Rim (near Bright Angel cabins) there is a stone wall at the Rim - so that area is safe. Also, there is a snack shop that sells ice cream.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Gail, that is EXACTLY what scares me! Part of the reason I'm thinking of only being there one night instead of two is so I have less time to be stressing over the thought of my son falling off the rim.

The stroller is definitely OUT though, unless we decide to just buy an umbrella stroller there. It's kind of pointless really, because it's such a battle to get him into it (he HATES it, has since day 1), that it makes it really unenjoyable for all. He is good about holding our hands though, and will do the backpack much more willingly. I'm sure it has something to do with what he can SEE from either walking himself and the pack, rather than sitting in a stroller. I still have a sick stomach about it all though. But trust me, we are not the types to let him run wild, 1) because it bothers other people and 2) because you can never be too careful, not matter where you are.

If we arrive by 3pm on a Wednesday and leave by noon time on Thursday, do you think that's enough time?
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Dear gardengrl,

As a fellow mother and worryer, I'll offer my two cents here. We were at the South Rim in late August with our 8 and 10 year olds. LOVED it. But I have said more than once since returning, 'I can't imagine being there with a toddler'. With that said, I think you could do it but I would HIGHLY suggest a 'leash'. We did see people with them and I thought it was a great idea. Or always have your backpack with you so you can put him in it if it gets too hard.

While there is a stone fence along much of the area by the rim hotels, I distinctly remember that there is a section about 20 feet long in front of the Arizona Room where there is simply a flat rock and no wall. Kept thinking that anyone could just fall over there.

I would also suggest that you keep to your two nights since there is nowhere on the drive between LV and GC that I would want to stay. Just leave at the crack of dawn on the third day and go to Vegas. It will take about 4 1/2 hours of fast driving

I would highly suggest trying to hike a bit down into the canyon on the Bright Angel Trail (right near the rim lodges). You could do some of it with the backpack and it's really an experience to get below the rim. Riding the shuttle bus will be fun too and there is a little snack bar at Hermits Rest (the end of the shuttle route) with cookies and drinks and a nice, safe viewing area.

Other questions...just ask.

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both SO MUCH! That's it, I'm definitely getting a leash. I don't care if some people think I'm treating my kid like a dog. It's for his own safety.

ccrosner, do you think we could do any part of that hike with our son? Isn't there a drop off on the trail too? Or do you mean in the backpack the whole time? Fortunately my husband is in great shape and hikes up the ski trails in our hometown (we live in Vermont) with Alex in the backpack all the time. I'd love to be able to hike even a little into the canyon, but I'm just really nervous about it!

We definitely want to come back when Alex is older and can hike himself.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM

gardengrl,

I checked to see that my response was there but it showed 0 responses. I was going to respond again just to bring it ttt.

The backpack is a great idea especially if your little one will stay in it. I don't know if I would feel comfortable going down into the canyon with it but I would feel very comfortable walking along the rim near the visitor center. The safety harness is an excellent idea and DO NOT FEEL BAD about using it. It's for his safety!

There are shops to look at, the visitor center where they show a little movie. You can drive out to the Desert View and stop at those viewpoints in your car to take up some of the time.

If you are really worried about spending a whole day there, you could always drive out the east entrance towards Desert View and take Hwy 89 south to Hwy 395 and visit Wupakti National Monument (pueblo ruins) and spend the night in Flagstaff.

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm

Utahtea

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Maybe consider doing one night at Grand Canyon and then when you leave there stay in Williams for the next night. (Its only an hour south of Grand Canyon though.) We stayed there at a place called "The Canyon Motel" which has restored ATSF caboose train cars that have been turned into "suites". Totally fun and quirky and even our pre-teens loved it. Lots of tall pine trees around, very family friendly atmosphere. They have a marshmallow roast around a campfire pit every night. Has a swingset area and horseshoe pit plus an indoor pool. Williams is a fun little town with some good restaurants and lots of fun shops. Also has the Grand Canyon railway if you think your son would enjoy seeing a train.

I'm with you on limiting the time you'll need to be on red alert with your toddler. I was scared enough at Grand Canyon overlooks with our 11 and 13 year olds in their flip flops on dirt trails. If he's good in the backpack carrier I'd do that.

Heres a link for the Canyon Motel:
http://www.thecanyonmotel.com/

I also second Utahtea's suggestion about Wupatki Ruins. Very cool.

Good luck with all. We just did same three places as you in August. Best vacation ever.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I was thinking that you could do the Bright Angel Hike with your son on your husband's back. They talk ALOT about how hard it is to hike out. We're in reasonably decent shape but nothing like you guys and we found it just fine hiking in and out. Kids too. You might be able to have your son out of the pack for a while. Some of the dropoffs are bad but some of them would just lead you down to the next switchback--scary but not life threatening.

Like the Williams train hotel idea. Didn't see it when we drove through but it looks like a blast on the website.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:23 PM

You might also consider stopping at
Bryce Canyon between LV and GC. There are some nice easy hiking trails. Toddler would like a stay at Ruby's (Best Western) - it has pool, gift shop, very informal restaurant, and actual animals - especially deer - to see in early AM or at dusk.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Getting to Bryce is a 6 hour drive from the Grand Canyon and then another 4 hour drive to Las Vegas the next day. I got the idea that they only had the two nights. It won't give them much time at Bryce and again you have the same "have to watch the toddler at the rim".

The northern route to Las Vegas is a possiblity. It's about 150 miles farther to Las Vegas than the southern route but you would drive by Lake Powell and Zion National Park. Zion would be a great place for the toddler because you are in the canyon, but it's out of the way for where they were going.

Utahtea