Search

Help needed with California trip!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed with California trip!

Hi there,

I know not much about California at all. We would like to visit there for about 10 days, either in July or next February.

Can anyone give me a short version of some sort of suggested itinerary? We want to visit all the typical places - San Fran, LA, San Diego, Napa, etc.

Also, is it possible to live well for not too expensive? Is there such a thing as nice hotels or B&B's for under $100 a night?

As you can see, this is my preliminary research...

Thanks so much,
Susan
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM

July is more "in season" and will be more expensive. It will be colder and rain is likely in February. February is whale season all along the coast.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I would not try to see "all the typical places" in just 10 days. I'de either choose Northern Calif & vist SF for 4 days, Napa & Sonoma for 3, and Carmel/Monterey/Bug Sur coast for 3 OR choose Southern Calif (someone else should suggest a rough itinerary for "down there").

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco)
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a few comments to help you get started:

10 days is not very long for just the 4 places you mention, w/o any "etc."

While July will be warmer than Feb, don't count on hot/warm weather along the coast. Anywhere on the Pacific coast but especially around SF/Monterey July can be downright cold in the summer. The hotter it gets inland (and that would include Napa) the colder/foggier it can be on the coast. Not going into the technical explanation, but it can be 100F+ in Napa and at the same time 65F and fogged in just over the hill on the coast.

And Feb is the height of our rainy season, so driving down the cast can be difficult - hwy 1 is often closed in places due to winter storms/slides.

Driving the coast from SF down to LA will take at least 3 days/2 nights if you want to see ANYTHING enroute.

What sorts of things do you enjoy? Wineries, beaches, theme parks, cities, TV tapings, or what . . . . .
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting at the same time as StuDudley. I was trying to say the same thing - 10 days isn't long enough to cover that much territory. California is a BIG place.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Susan:

I agree with the previous posters: choose either No. Cal or So. Cal. California is a very large stare with much to see.

July would be a better time of year.

good luck,

MY
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:56 AM

On the subject of lodging - B&Bs are mostly more upscale type of lodging that cater to romantic couples rather than budget travelers. For $100/night you can find some decent motels though - nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable.