Notices

Northern CA Coastal Fog

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northern CA Coastal Fog

I've seen in messages on this site that the Northern CA coast has a lot of fog especially in the mornings. Is this fog that would impede driving along the coast or just stop you from seeing the ocean? We will be driving up the coast in late August and will have to be leaving early in the morning to make time.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fog will keep you from seeing the ocean & coastline. Often, the fog will persist all day. Rarely does it impede driving.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM
GP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ctspice

With due respect to StuDudley all fog is not created equal. The fog we get here in costal Humboldt County (like today) is cloud cover at about 500 to 1500 feet it does not block the views of the ocean just the sun. Once in a while we do get the ground fog which you can not see 50 feet ahead of you but it is not common at that time of year. I am not sure if that is the case as far south as Sonoma County but I know that Mendocino coast is very similar to Humboldt’s. August can be rather foggy as the fog is a result of the high temperatures inland. One thing that is great is that if it is foggy on the coast you can drive 5 to 10 miles inland and be under sunny skies and 90 degree temperatures. Do not let the fog bother you.

Have Fun
GP
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP. This poster didn't say where he was traveling in Northern Calif. I'm a 58 YO Calif native, and I've always considered that Northern Calif starts at about Cambria. More times than not in August, you can't see the Big Sur coast or the coast at Carmel. This past Sunday, the San Mateo and San Francisco county coasts were socked in all day. It's that way about 75% of the time around here in July & August. Today, the weather is clear where I live in San Mateo - perhaps less fog at the coast therefore.

Your clarification of conditions up in northern Northern Calif. are appreciated by the poster, I'm sure.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP is generally correct. The Point Reyes lighthouse was placed at the bottom of the cliff so that it could be seen below the fog. Of course, if the highway is several hundred feet above sea level, as it is along Big Sur, it can be in the fog.