Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Need advice for family reunion/vacation at Myrtle Beach area!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a vacation to South Carolina with my husband's family. Our party will include his parents, his brother's family (2 adults and 5 kids under the age of 15), his sister and her husband and us (my husband, our son and myself). All the men, two of the women and one of the kids are avid golfers. Everyone is flying in from all over so we want something that we can all be together without being literally on top of each other. Any advice on places to stay? We're looking for something close to the beach, golf and maybe a place that also has a pool that is close to activities. Any recommendations? This will be for next August (2004). Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

My recommendation would be to look into Hilton Head...its soooooooooooo much nicer.South Carolina is full of super nice places..Myrtle Beach is not one of them.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:17 PM

I have to agree Myrtle Beach is just so so. Alot of people like Litchfield or Pawleys Island. If it has to be MB then I know Kingston Plantation is a nice place on the beach. Nice pool area etc. It would be worth looking into in you are set on that area.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:25 PM

alsgal- I would suggest the Embassy Suites Kingston Plantation..There is a golf course right next to the hotel and this particular hotel also has 3 towers that are condos RIGHT on the BEACH...you can easily get a 2 - 3 bed condo...it is a GORGEOUS property...I have stayed in the regular hotel section , which is typical REALLY NICE Embassy Suites...and had friends that stayed in the CONDO TOWER sections...

Myrtle is GREAT for kids- there is tons to do --plus lots of nitelife, whereas Hilton Head is generally way more upscale, there is almost no nitelife and rather limited on things for kids....

There are about 50 golf courses +- in the Myrtle Beach Area and the hotels ALL offer golf packages ......
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:50 PM

My husband's aunt & uncle live in the kingston plantation development in North Myrtle Beach and it is very nice if you want to be right on the beach. (Nothing is very far away in Myrtle Beach.) We went to Myrtle Beach in June and stayed in a huge, lovely 3-bedroom 2-bath condo at Barefoot Bridge Resort. Here is the website: www.bfresort.com It is in North Myrtle Beach, not on the ocean but a close drive to everything, and has several gold courses right there. We stayed a condo in the Cypress Bend section, not in the Towers. Each section has its own pool. It is very close to Barefoot Landing shopping center, House of Blues, the Alabama Theatre, and Alligator Adventure. The four golf courses there were designed by Love, DeFazio, Norman and Dye and have a very good reputation. We enjoyed staying there because it was nice and quiet to come back to in the evening after running around all day.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:03 PM
LN

I agree with the last poster. Perhaps you could look into renting a few condos and then everyone would have some privacy and really enjoy their stay. As another said, Myrtle beach is great for children and there are so many shows going on that adults love it too. You won't go hungry as there's more restaurants than you'll probably find in the rest of South carolina. We enjoy visiting Myrtle beach.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:04 PM
LN

Oops forgot - there are SCADS of golf courses and the North end of Myrtle beach is really nice.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Forgot to add- the EMBASSY Suites Kingston Plantation HAS condos- those are the ones I said were 2-3 bedroom condos ON the beach...You rent these THRU Embassy Suites....

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:59 PM

My husband & I just returned from a 1-week stay at the new Sea Watch Resort (near Kingston Plantation) in the northern part of Myrtle Beach (south of N. Myrtle Beach). It is so clean and new--they have different size condos and the best pool area I've seen in the 23 years we've been going to Myrtle Beach. There are so many golf courses within a few miles (one within walking distance!) We can't wait to go back!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Forgot to mention--the Sea Watch Resort has many activities planned every day for children and adults--for those who want to take part in them. They post the schedule every Sunday.