Reload this Page >

Family Condo in the Carolinas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Steve

We are thinking about taking the family on a road trip this July to the beach. We will be taking our kids, ages 12, 10, and 7, along with a sitter.

We are looking for a two bedroom condo in the Carolina’s. Our preference is being as close to Cleveland, Ohio to reduce the drive time.

We also have access through a friend to the RCI and Marriott networks – so that would be part of our consideration.

We are looking for a great pool and easy access to the beach, preference right on the beach. We are also looking for some night life for my wife and I.

We have never been to the Atlantic coast in the summer. My guess is that the air temperature will be very warm and we will see some thunderstorms, but don’t have a clue on how warm the water will be.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks to all…

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:37 PM
wondering

I'm just curious, are you going to cram all of the kids AND the sitter into one bedroom? Don't you think the sitter needs a break at night?

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Steve

Good question - that is why I am looking for a condo - meaning mor ethan just one small hotel room...

To clarify we would like a place that comfortably sleeps six.

Steve

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:48 AM
chuck

Steve,

The water temperature here at North Myrtle Beach is in the low 70's and climbing now. Lots of folks wading, swimming & surfing already. By July, it will be even warmer still.

For a first trip to the Atlantic coast, I'd recommend the Outer Banks of NC, and specifically Duck or Corolla. Very beautiful and relatively unspoiled, non-commericalized beach. However, your requirements for a pool and nightlife make this choice a little problematic.

My second choice would be to stay at Kingston Plantation, between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. This is an oceanfront resort, in the style of those at Hilton Head (which would be a great destination, but probably 3-4 hours further South than Myrtle Beach). Kingston Plantation is the best MB has to offer (with the exception of Litchfield about 45 minutes to an hour South)--pools and lazy river. It is close to all of the attractions of MB, as far as restaurants, nightlife, etc.

Have a great time wherever you go!

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Richard

Steve,

Just curious, but if you are looking for a road trip to the beach, why are you worried about a swimming pool?? You've got the entire Atlantic Ocean at your door step. You can get a swimming pool anywhere.

Richard

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:36 PM
myrtle

OK, I'll bite. I have a friend who owns a two-bedroom condo in North Myrtle Beach -- pool, golf course, a couple of miles from the beach, but there's a shuttle.

I will tell you (just to prove I'm not profiting from this) that NMB is not my favorite beach, but people with kids seem to like it.

If you're interested, contact the guy directly: [email protected]. Tell 'em Jim sent ya.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Beth

Litchfield by the sea is south of Myrtle beach and has nice beachfront condos. Wild Dunes on the isle of palms has Pavalion houses you can rent with two small pools and a beach club. Kiawah Island and Seabrook island are about 20 south of Chaarlestown, and very scenic. However if you dine out you have to drive to Charleston. Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head is scenic and has nice pools, and resturents nearby. We live in S.C. and have vacationed at all of those places. We use to own our own Litchfield By The Sea condo, and I like that the best of all.