help-need a last minute trip

Jul 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

help-need a last minute trip

I need some help. My husband and my 2 teens 17 &18 need a last minute trip. We are all working and have limited time off together. We only have 4 days off in Aug. for the whole summer.

We live in NYC and need a place to go. We love resort-type hotels, the ocean and relaxing. Not big on super sightseeing in summer heat. We like to do something in the evening after dinner and dislike the whole after dinner walking, mini-golfing, souvernier shopping of the shore type. We like to see shows, and/or something that my teens can actually do on their own if they choose.
I have checked cruising out of NY but none of the dates match. Can drive somewhere also.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Jul 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM

What about Cape Cod? I don't know specifics, but I think there are resorts there. Cape May? And although it is not my personal favorite, Hilton Head might work.
Jul 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Have you considered Punta Cana, Dominican Republic? There are lots of great all-inclusive resorts. Great food, gorgeous beaches, wonderful
amenities.
Jul 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Agree, Cape May would be laid back at the beach...Your sons could bicycle, boat rides, etc. Another option for shows at night but might be too busy during the day for you is Washington, DC....Not beach, per se, but water and nice hotels ...something for everyone...driving is an issue perhaps...
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM

Have you been to Charleston SC?

If not, that would give you a great small city experience. No trace of tackiness anywhere, great restaurants and shopping, loads of history.

Nearby beaches (20-30 minutes from the downtown historic area) are really nice too--I am thinking the Isle of Palms area, perhaps Wild Dunes resort. Alternatively, you could stay downtown, there are some wonderful hotels and B&Bs.

Just realize that August anywhere along the southern coast is going to be hot and humid, but possibly no more than you're used to in NYC.
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM

Bermuda - short non-stop flight from NYC. Several resorts where there is beach and water sports. Great food, a few genuine historic things to see. Extremely safe, reliable and easy to understand public transit system that your teens could use alone if they wanted.

Not sure about nightlife available, though.
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM

How about Mystic, CT?