Search

Help! Need 3 BR rental on Kauai! (Long)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Need 3 BR rental on Kauai! (Long)

<begin vent>

I had an oceanfront rental booked on the North Shore of Kauai -- deposit, contract, and everything -- and found out after the owner got back from vacation for *a month* that she had received two checks during that time period. My check and a check from another party. She had double booked.

My check got there the day after the other party's check, who she didn't think would be renting, because she hadn't heard from them. She has decided that, to be fair, she is forced to let the other party stay there, since she had not "officially" put the house on hold with me. I actually don't think it's fair at all, but that's me. Because I'm selfish and *I* wanted to stay there!

At any rate, this puts me in a sticky situation, as we have already purchased our plane tickets. Not changeable without penalty, of course.

</end vent>

I need big help. Could someone please recommend a 3 bedroom (or more) oceanfront vacation rental that can accomodate three couples? Twin beds that can form a king are fine. The last place we booked was 3K, so we'd like to stick around that range. We're coming for the week of Feb. 26-Mar. 5.

Thanks in advance for ANY help. Oh, I've already scoured VRBO and others and have contacted a few people. Waiting to hear their availability.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Yep...this is just one of many problems besetting the rent-direct-from-owner situation.

Try contacting any of the many vacation rental companies on the island -- among the most reputable are:
http://kauaivacationrentals.com/
http://www.napaliprop.com
http://kauai-vacation-rentals.com/
http://www.grantham-resorts.com/
http://www.kauaiproperties.com/kauaiaccommodations.html
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Auntimaria, this kind of situation is by no means limited to renting direct from owners. It is just as commom (if not more so) to reserve a room with a major hotel or resort only to find out that you DON'T have a room.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:11 PM

We have rented directly from an owner four times (in Hawaii). They were all successful rentals. This time, for our upcoming trip in October, we went through an agency. Twice so far, the condo we had rented was sold. The last time was just two days ago, six weeks out from our vacation, and I wasn't even informed until I sent the final deposit. Now we are scrambling because the time we need is during Ironman. I am sure there are all sorts of horror stories out there from people who have rented through an agency or through an owner. My point is that it can happen both ways.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Rusty:
Guess I'm unusually lucky -- nearing age 60, have traveled the world, and have never had a hotel/resort fail to honor my reservation.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:38 PM

pinnacle:

Renting from an owner can be successful (I've done it, friends have done it, relatives have done it -- without problems). But when the property has an absentee owner and no on-island property manager, it's always the renter who gets the raw end of the deal.

Re: the property being sold -- if it's managed by a vacation rental _company_ in Hawai`i, that company must be owned and operated by a Hawai`i-licensed real estate _broker_ (state law). Note that a "rental agent" can be just one person operating from home; a "rental company" typically has an office and staff.

The buyer of any Hawai`i property which has _any_ existing signed rental or lease agreement in place, must honor that agreement -- unless their contract with you has a clause exempting them. You might try pushing that with the agent who was handling your rental, for what it's worth...
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:05 PM

We're staying at the Hale Mahana Kai in Poipu next week. It's a 3BR 2800 sq. ft oceanfront house. We booked through Gloria's Vacation Rentals (gloriasvacationrentals.com).
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM

We didn't stay in a place that big (we stayed at Pali Ke Kua condos), but we did go through Kauai Vacation rentals, who were very helpful. They have a great website with lots of pictures and those little 360 viewers and thorough descriptions--a clear, easy to read and navigate site. They have a ton of listings, with many on the north shore. They went out of their way to work with me to find the perfect place last June.

They did tell me that one of the condos I wanted was on the market and that it could be sold by the time I arrive and that they'd either have to let me stay or find equal accomodations, which I didn't want to deal with, so I picked a different unit. Their prices (for condos at least) were very competitive with other places, usually a little less. They had some GORGEOUS houses I would have loved to stay in, but mostly too expensive, although probably perfect for three couples splitting it.

Anyway, their website is www.kauaivacationrentals.com, definitely worth looking into, very professional and helpful.

Good luck!

love
roxy
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:22 AM

We are staying at Keoniana Kai which is in the Princeville area, oceanfront, and has 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms. I booked it through Re/Max Kauai. It has a jacazzi and a small resistance pool.

http://www.remaxkauai.com/rental-homes/keonianakai.htm
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM

We have just reserved a beautiful 3BR rental in Kilauea for November (so reserved fairly short notice). It has access to Secret Beach which I have heard so much about from this forum. You can do a search for Secret Beach Cottages and find out info about the 1 BR units and the area. I used eleganthideaways.com and the property was Hideaway 418. It is a little pricier than you wanted, but I think it will be so worth it. Obviously I can't say anything for sure because we haven't actually stayed there but I'm really excited about it. Talk to Debbie at Elegant Hideaways - she was very helpful.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I've rented several times directly from owners and have NEVER had any trouble. I'm not going to let this one experience spoil it for me, though.

I'm going to check out all of these sites today while at work (shh!), and hopefully I'll come up with something.

One house that I contacted yesterday emailed me back immediately and said that they are still available -- very nice place, but rocky beach. At least it will be a good option to fall back on.

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming if you have them!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:16 AM

As a fellow advocate of house-rentals I feel for you. I had a similar thing happen to me on Oahu recently. The happy news was that the second rental was so much better than the first would have been - so hang in there! I do have this one in my Bookmarks - you might want to check it out (it looks pretty good):
http://www.kauai-visit.com/
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM

Here's another one. This one is on Anini Beach, which is better for swimming than Tunnels (which has better snorkeling.)
http://www.kauaibeachvacations.com/
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:26 PM

LayingBlames,
Did you find a house? I am in a similar situation. We are renting two houses in Kauai and just found out that the owner of one of the houses may need to use the house during that time. I would be interested to know the original house that you were planning on renting or any other great houses you have found.
Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM

I might also try a few places that rent out timeshare:

www.redweek.com Redweek is independent of any T/S Co.

www.condodirect.com
Renting leftover Interval International units.

Resort Condo International (RCI) has a program for any government workers, military active, reserve, or retired. Weeks are $249 (always check the 249 section first) and up. www.afvclub.com or www.veteransholidays.com. (Units here include Hilton Grand Vacation Club & some Sheraton Vacation Clubs). # bedrooms will be tough to find, but nothing to lose.

II also has a Gov/retire program...www.govarm.com

II has Hyatt Vacation Club, Marriot Vacation Club, some Sheraton/Westons.

Remember these are leftovers.

Ratings of the resorts are at www.tug2.net There are also last minute rentals (distressed weeks) on the TUG BBS, but I never see any Hawaii.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:37 PM

Ashley24:
What does your written contract say about "the owner may want to use the house"?

When we had a vacation rental house here on Kaua`i, our contracts read that the only way we could "bump" someone who had paid their deposit, was if our rental agent found a comparable house for that tenant (same area, same size, same amenities, same cost -- or better).
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:53 AM

auntiemaria,
I paid my deposit and the owner confirmed that she received it but I have never signed a contract. It sounds like the owner might be selling her own house (not the rental) and will need to use the rental until she builds a new house. She said she would know more in a few weeks. She offered to reimburse me and said she would recommend some fabulous houses. I said I would keep my reservation for now but would start looking for alternatives.
What would you do?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Without a written contract, signed by both of you, you have no legal recourse.

Search immediately for another property, lock it in with a deposit and a signed contract, and then get your deposit back from the first reservation.

Although I often warn "don't rent direct from owners", this local family has been renting out one of their homes for decades -- highly trusted members of the north shore community. I recommend their place based solely on the positive comments I've heard from visitors and friends over the years:
http://www.aloha.net/~seek/ka-nani.html

They've got 4 properties, all of which are at the "quiet end" of Hanalei Bay (away from the pier).

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:07 PM

auntiemaria,
Thanks for the information! I loved their biggest house in Hanalei (what a view!) but it's a bit too expensive for me. However, I was looking at their house in Kilauea. Are you familiar with that property? It looks like a beautiful house with a view of a lake and the ocean in the distance. What is your opinion of that area in Kauai? The price was very reasonable. Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM

LayingBlames:

It's mauka (mountain side) of the highway, south of Kilauea town itself -- about 10-15 minutes to Hanalei -- in a rural residential area. Quiet, and well off the "tourist" areas.

The beach they mention on their site, is a surfing beach, accessible down a dirt road (4WD only, if weather's been rainy).

Kaua`i Orchids is in the neighborhood -- gorgeous specimens, which can be purchased for shipping back to the mainland. Shameless plug for my friends' business!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -