Help...Moving to Atlanta

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Moving to Atlanta

It is a possibility that my husband may be relocated back to Atlanta. We moved in 2007 to St. Louis. We moved from Dacula (North of Atlanta, Gwinnett County). However we do not want to live that far away from the city this time as my husband will be commutting to an office this go round and I would like to have better access to the city with my 5 year old. I do not know anything about the schools in the Atlanta area but of course that is the number one priority. We currently live on 3.5 acres, 5000 Sqare foot home (ranch with full basement)and pool. We would really love a wooded lot (large) and an area with mature trees. We lived in new construction in Dacula with small lots and we are not interested in that again. I have been reading about Alpharetta, but would be open to other suggestions and comments. My husband would like to be part of a golf community and I would like access to museums and great shopping. Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM

taceynt- Schooldigger.com is a great resource for finding a good school! We moved to Atlanta last year and school system and proximity to work was #1 priority! Which part of town with your husband be working?

Good Luck with your move!!
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Wow I need a typing class! Sorry traceynt! What area of town will your husband be working in?
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I think that the office is off 285 between 85 & 75? Not really sure. Driven by it a couple of times and really didn't pay that much attention.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM

North of the city?
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Traffic (minimizing commute for husband)and schools should be your biggest priorities IMHO. Alpharetta is almost as far out as Dacula, particularly when traffic is considered. Museums and great shopping are intown (inside 285) in Atlanta. There is also plenty of shopping around the Perimeter Mall area (I285 and GA 400) and farther up GA 400 in the Alpharetta area.

Generally, you will find larger lots the farther you go outside 285. The biggest lots intown will be in Buckhead but are $$$. I know there is a 4.6 acre lot near me in Buckhead that is listed $650,000 for per acre. There are also some good size lots left in the Druid Hills/Briarcliff area. Briarcliff will be less expensive than Druid Hills but many homes in the Briarcliff area have been getting knocked down and rebuilt as much larger homes. Luckily for you, it's a buyers' market for real estate in Atlanta.

There are a handful of good public schools intown and in the Sandy Springs area around the northern arc of 285. The schools tend to get better as you go farther north in the suburbs East Cobb County might be a good option for you. Private schools are quite common here and it is application season for next year (most due in January or February).

You won't find any golf communities inside 285. Most of the golf communities are in the far northern suburbs such as Alpharetta and south of the ATL in places like Peachtree City.

Hope this helps. Welcome back.