Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Atlanta, GA area - What towns are recommended?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be relocating to the Atlanta area within the next few months from New Jersey. We have two small children, so school ratings are one of our top concerns. We are also looking for a 30 minute or less commute to Atlanta. I have been looking at Mableton and Marietta. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Your tolerance for housing prices will determine how far away from Atlanta you live. The market has softened a bit, though.

Whatever realtors or well-intentioned people tell you about the distance or length of time of a commute, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Drive it yourself in rush hour, or at the time you will be on the road. Everyone---EVERYONE---minimizes his own commute time. I guess it makes them feel better!

Don't know about schools, but Decatur is a great small town just on Atlanta's doorstep. However, it is not the "suburbia of your dreams" by any means. It is more like a small town. If you are Catholic, there is an RC school there.

I wouldn't consider Marietta 30 minutes from downtown Atlanta during peak driving hours (7-9 am 3-7 pm) unless you have a helicopter.

Avoid Stockbridge. That town, just south of Atlanta on I75, is a lethal mix of SUV's, bad drivers, new subdivisions and road construction.

I grew up in Atlanta and now we live and work in Griffin, about 1 hour south. It's much too far of a commute to Atlanta (although an astonishing number of people do it) and our children have attended boarding schools as an alternative to the school system.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Decatur. Best "town" close to Atlanta. Very close compared to Mableton and Marietta (doubt very seriously you can get into downtown in 30 minutes from those during morning rush).
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM

You really need to look first in the general area in which you will be working. If nothing suits, then think farther out from Atlanta, but not on the opposite side of the "Atlanta area."

For example, I have a son that lives in Decatur. He works at Emory Univ. Very short drive. His wife works only a short drive inward towards the heart of the city. They used to live in Alpharetta. The commute was a killer! It would be foolish for them to have even thought about Marietta. However, Marietta could be just what you want.

School ratings could be great or terrible THIS year and be vastly different next year. So much depends on the individual principals. If the neighborhood you choose is good, the chances are that the schools are also.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Been there done that. I'll second the advice given here. Husband commuted to Coca Cola from Marietta/East Cobb and it was over 45 minutes each way--on a good day. Drive the commute during the hours you plan on being on the road.

Price, schools and commute were our three priorities. If I had to do it over again I would take the time to rent while shopping for the RIGHT address.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Druid Hills has consistently good schools and is close to downtown - it's where Emory U is, very close to Decatur.

Not cheap though.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
GoTravel

If I had the money my first choice would be Buckhead.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

You need to think about your price range and what you are looking for in a town. I love Decatur (it is my favorite area in Atlanta) but the public school system is not very good. The area that we live in, between Decatur and Tucker, is located in the Lakeside High School District (one of the top public schools in Atlanta) --- it is VERY convenient to Midtown and everywhere in town. But, the houses are mostly brick ranches which some people don't like, and it is not convenient to most places outside the perimeter. Marietta is very far from midtown/downtown -- I have friends that live out there and it takes them minimum 40 minutes (i.e. if there is no traffic) and there is nearly always traffic. Mableton does not have a very good school system but I believe that it is improving. My advice: look at ajc.com which posts ratings of school systems, including state scores, graduation rates, etc. and narrow down some school systems. Then hire a good realtor to do some scoping out for you. I have a great realtor (by the way) and when we moved from North Carolina to Atlanta, she did all of the leg work for us and we found our house in one weekend. Let me know if you want her name.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM

This has to be one of the most repeated questions on relocation. If you type Atlanta and relocation in the search, you will probably find 25 discussion that have dissected this issue ad nauseum.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM

You will find good schools in central and east Cobb County. The only high school I know much about is Lassiter and it is a major high school with a good college prep curriculum.

I can tell you this much. When I was at the University of Georgia, I know from first hand experience that the high schools around the northern tier of Atlanta produce good students.

I could not single out any one school, but most of the northern arc of Atlanta has good schools.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM

There are also some very good ones southwest of Atlanta, notably in the Peachtree City and Fayetteville areas. Kas, you may want to check them out, too. It's a different commute, south on I-85 instead of 75. My daughter's roomate at Georgia Tech is from that area, Starr's Mill high school, and apparently got a very good education there. Check out the state ratings, also. SAT scores don't tell the whole story, just 95% of it.

Peachtree City is a planned community in which everyone owns a golf cart--there are trails right alongside the busiest streets, people go shopping in them and to movies. They have to be registered in the city, of course, and each new store or shopping area has to (by city ordinance) set aside a certain number of golf-cart-only parking spaces.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM

More than anything else, consider the commute.

Having said that, I'm falling in love with Decatur more and more.

I just went to the Decatur Beach Party last night. They blocked off the streets for dancing in the street with live music. One block was covered with sand and hundreds of kids happily digging "in the beach". Vendors. Chairs. Friends mixing and mingling. Families of all shapes, sizes and description. Decatur is a liberal community with lots of great restaurants and shops around a stereotypical courthouse square. Consider it. Here's a link to their special events page.

http://www.decaturga.com/cgs_citysvcs_ced_events.aspx
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Where are your work places? - What are your price points? - What is your personality? - There are great neighborhoods throughout the metro area. Consider the old intown Atlanta neighborhoods like Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Ansley Park, Midtown, Candler Park, Druid Hills and Morningside. They have been gentrified over the last 15 years and are great areas for excellent public schools and walkable lifestyles. I agree with other posters that Decatur is also a special place. All these areas will be pricy but bargans are to be had. I agree with "beentheretwice" - I'd rent for a while if you can and get a feel for the city.

Welcome and best wishes!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the information. It really helped us to have a starting point. I spoke to a realtor who suggests looking at swim/tennis communities. We are looking forward to coming down in the next few weeks to look around. Thank you again for your suggestions. This has been a great introduction to Georgia!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Okay, Atlanta experts...are you joining us on Saturday afternoon for the GTG? Hope so!
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM

don't know what price range you are looking in but dunwoody is a great area with top rated schools right at 285 and 400