Help me trim itinerary to southern Oregon

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me trim itinerary to southern Oregon

Last year I planned an itinerary to Ashland, Grants Pass and Gold Beach over 8 days. We never went because of the fires. I have 6-7 days this month when I could go but I need help trimming a day or two out of my itinerary. I could skip the hike on the last day and come home. Can you make other suggestions or comments? Thank you. My itinerary is below:

Day 1 Fly into Medford 430 and drive 40 miles to Ashland. Shop, art galleries, walk in 100 acre park.

Day 2 Ashland & Prospect. River rafting half day then drive to Prospect on the way to Crater Lake.

Day 3 Grants Pass. Driving tour of Crater Lake and drive to Grants Pass. Stop at Vortex fun place, Harry & David outside Medford and Jackson Perkins rose test garden.

Day 4 Grants Pass. See the Rogue River and Hellgate Canyon. Hiking in Siskiyou National Forest.

Day 5 Gold Beach. Oregon Caves Monument(50 miles south of Grants Pass)for 90 minute
tour and then drive to Gold Beach. Stay at Tu Tu Lodge.

Day 6 Gold Beach. Sightsee from Gold Beach to Brookings. See Redwoods in Brookings and drive back to Gold Beach.

Day 7 Gold Beach. Drive north to see Sunset Bay State Park, Shores Acres State Park, Simpson Beach,Cape Arago State Park and Bandon.

Day 8 Hike in Schrader Old Growth Forest in Gold Beach.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:14 AM

I'd skip Crater Lake--You would be spending a lot of time driving to get there and back to Grants Pass. Time would be better spent allowing more time for the Redwoods. A few miles south of Crescent City (CA) ,south of Brookings,are the most beautiful Redwoods you will ever see..To hike among them is almost a religious experience!!!!
Also seems like day 7 has a lot of driving. Although Bandon has a great walking beach and cute little cheese factory.
Don't know if you have been on the Oregon coast before???
Be aware that the distances between towns on a map can be mis-leading as to time allowed. Usually 45 MPH is top speed (less through all the little towns) due to traffic, RVs and just people.
We have been up and down the Oregon coast 10 -12 times over the last 20 years. One of our favorite trips..Enjoy you hikes...
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Traveler24: Thanks for your advice. I have completely revised my itinerary eliminating Crater Lake and giving more time to the coast area to avoid the long drives you spotted. Since I don't know how much we can cover in a day, I'm not making hotel reservations and we'll wing it. I'm so excited and I'm leaving in a week. Thanks again.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:03 AM
GP

Hi JeannetteC

If you come down to Ca. for redwoods from Brookings or Grants Pass there is no need to go south of Crescent City. Go to Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park on Hwy 199. Stout grove is one of best. If you have time for a long hike try the Boy Scout Tree trail. Drive the Howland Hill Road. Jump in the Smith River.

Have Fun
GP
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Don't give up Crater Lake. Its the star of Oregon. Breathtaking.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 11:32 PM

I actually live in Grants Pass currently and Coos Bay for 10 years.The drive to Crater lake is a long way to go if you are short on time. You can make the trip to Bandon in about 2.5 to 3 hours. (without stops...allow plenty of time to see the sights) The Vortex is pretty cheesy but fun if you are into roadside attractions. Plan on seeing a play in Ashland while you are there...or a concert in Jacksonville under the stars. On your way to Oregon caves stop in at "Its a Burl" its a burl carving shop...ask about the house above the shop...the owner is building it and lets people walk through..one word describes...AMAZING have a great trip!