SW Oregon touring advice

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SW Oregon touring advice

My husband and I are flying to Medford on Oct 21st and need to be in Ashland on the
26th. We will rent a car. I need an itinerary for in between that would include Crater Lake, hiking and beautiful scenery. Sights that sound interesting from previous postings are Toketee Falls, Grants Pass and Lava River Cave and Lava Bute. I just have no idea how to put it together in a way that makes sense. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. My sister may join us for part of this so any interesting birding sights would be a plus for her.

Thanks. Donna Kemper
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Coincidentally, I just returned from a SW Oregon road trip (see trip report)! But unfortunately, I didn't, and haven't see too many of the places on your list.

The only reason to stop in Grants Pass might be for a trip on the Rogue River. That's late enough in the year that I wouldn't want to get wet, though. Still, your sister might see a bald eagle or two. Check to see that they're running that late in the year. You should also check with Crater Lake. Most things there close down by the end of October.

It's not SW Oregon, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with the scenery and hiking around Smith River and the giant redwoods along hwy 199 heading SW from Grants Pass. A day or two on the southern Oregon coast wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

FUnny you should mention the coast. I just spoke to my brother who just returned from there and is recommending that we visit Brookings, Gold Beach and Bandon. I have no clue about driving times and distances and how much time I should plan to spend in each place. I could probably be happy with walks on the beach and my husband and sister could go golfing. I appreciate your reply. dk
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Hi dekemper,
First of all, you need to be aware that going to Crater Laker in late October is risky. You are just as likely as not to have snow. I think the lodge closes around October 15. Nevertheless, there are several things for you to see and do. Hikes in the area that i would recommend include Grizzly Peak, Fish Lake, several sections of the Pacific Crest Trail, Mt. Ashland, and the Applegate Reservoir area. You can also take in Millcreek Falls and the Rogue Gorge, which are on the road to Crater Lake. With this much time, you can drive down to Mt. Shasta and Castle Crags State Park, even possibly Burney Falls. You can also drive to the Oregon Coast as suggested, seeing Jedidiah Smith Redwoods on the way. Oregon Caves will be open. Most of this is driveable from the Medford-Ashland area. One road I have always liked is the road along the Umpqua River from Roseburg to Diamond Lake. So even if you can't get to Crater Lake, there is a lot to keep you busy. Enjoy!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM

dekemper,

Grants Pass to Brookings is somewhere around two hours. Bandon is another 80 miles up the coast. There are beautiful beaches in this stretch of coast, but few reasons to spend much time in either Brookings or Gold Beach. If your husband and sister are golfers, Bandon Dunes should be at the top of their list for places to play. Most golf industry rags rate it as one of the top 10 golf destinations in the country. But you might need to bump the limit on your credit card!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I was going to start a new post but hopefully someone here can help.

Our fall trip to Oregon is just about set.
Thanks Fodorites for your help, all of which was gathered from current posts I might add.
(amazing what you can find by doing a search! Or two or three!)

However, I'm looking for special golf courses in the area (especially Portland) for my sweetie (who finds golf a nice addition to sight seeing).

We are willing to drive further to find special courses.
Any Scottish Links nearby?

I remember GoTravel saying she now manages a group of courses in Oregon. If you're out there GoTravel or anyone, can you give me any information?

Thank you.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM

wanderluster,

And I remember GoTravel writing she'd kill to play Bandon Dunes. It might be the closest golf experience to Scottish links in the country. But, it's 4-5 hours from Portland.

The top ranked course in the Portland area is Pumpkin Ridge, where they've played two US Women's Opens, and where Tiger won one of his US Amateur titles. There are two courses, one public, one private. Either should make your sweetie feel he's in golf heaven. Pumpkin Ridge is 25 miles west of Portland, out hwy 26.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Great Beachbum, thank you very much.
Many of my notes are from your posts and I'll add these.

GoTravel may have said that but she also said she was managing a group of courses, one being in Oregon.
Can't find the post now, but
GoTravel, am I mistaken?
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM

Topping for GoTravel.