Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help me plan a trip to the Grand Canyon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 60th birthday, we are planning to finally go to the Grand Canyon with our two adult children. We are open to any suggestions or ideas since none of us have ever been in that area of the country. We plan to stay in the area for 5 - 7 days (my husband and I could squeeze in a few more days, but our kids can't). The trip is planned for September. Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you coming from? Do you want to drive your own car or fly to Las Vegas, Phoenix or Flagstaff and rent a car?
Once the kids are back in school is a good time to see the canyon without the big crowds.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM

We have been there three times and the time we enjoyed most we stayed at one of the lodges on the rim of the canyon and we ate our dinners in the El Tovar dining room.

HTTY
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Closest Major Airports: Phoenix - and Las Vegas.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM

I would suggest trying to book a hotel wihtin the park immediately... they fill up fast and may not have any availability for your dates but you should try ASAP. Although not fancy digs, it is well worth it to stay in the park if at all possible so you can enjoy sunrise and sunset and just generally not have to spend a lot of extra time driving. Bright Angel or El Tovar are my preferences, but any place within the park is a good idea.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM

My advice?

Make your lodging reservations at The Canyon FIRST. The area near this place is not where you can arrive without a reservation and expect to find vacancies.

Fly into Vegas or Phoenix, depending on which place gives you the best deal on airfare, car rental, and lodging. Note that, if you arrive in Vegas during a major convention, you'll be lucky to find a flea-bag for $300 a night or a rental car at any price.

Rent a car when you get there and either rest for a day, seeing a few sights, or almost immediately head for your GC lodging.

Spend at most two days at the GC -- one day to see this place from as many overlooks and as many times of the day as possible, and the next day to take a SHORT walk below the rim. On this hike during the second day, turn around the MINUTE you start to feel tired or sore. If that means you only hike below the rim for fifteen minutes, you'll still see a part of this place that 90% of visitors (foolishly) overlook.

Return towards where you first rented the car.
If Vegas, spend the rest of your time there, perhaps visiting some nearby natural sites. Some people can spend two weeks without leaving the Vegas Strip, some people hate the city with a passion. If you think you're in the latter, then make a two-day trip to Zion and/or Bryce.
If Phoenix, return via Sedona (red rock area) OR Jerome (historic town); or spend the rest of your time in Phoenix.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM

We stayed at the Yavapai Lodge and found it to be perfectly acceptable. Not luxury, but fine and in a beautiful setting. We found that we preferred the quiet surrounding it, rather than the extreme crowds around El Tovar, etc.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM

I second PaulRabe's suggestions. If you stay inside the park (right by the rim), you will not need your car during your visit.

Hiking sticks would be something good to bring. We bought ours at R.E.I. before our trip, and we were really lad we had them.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM

At the end of August, first of Sept., last yeaer, we flew to Phoenix, rented a car and drove to Sedona. I cannot say enough good things about Sedona. At the Grand Canyon (which we managed on a day trip), it was hazy. There was a controlled burn on the opposite rim which really interfered with the view.
Don't let that discourage you, but you might want to find out about the weather and any possibility of controlled burns.
In Sedona, we were living right in among the beautiful red rocks. Everywhere we went, they were on all sides. We took an amazing helicopter ride. I would do that again in a heart beat, and I'm 73 years old. So, if possible, add a trip to Sedona to your plans. You will not regret it.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM

Definitely stay inside the park at the South Rim, and add the North Rim if you like. There are 6 lodges inside the park at the South Rim, and one at the North. book th eSouth Rim lodges at www.grandcanyoulodges.com and the North Rim at Forever Resorts.

September is a very popular time and it is likely the lodges are mostly full, so you need to check right away. four of the sic South Rim lodges are right ON the rim. Vacancy is more likely at the other two---Maswik and Yavapai. I checked just now and there were a few 2-night stays available at those two, but nowhere else. Have look on th ewebsite and if you do not see anything, pick up th ephone and call. Often there are rooms available that do not show up on the website.