Las Vegas and Grand Canyon trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm looking to spend 5 days in Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. Is driving to Grand Canyon from Las Vegas better than flying. If flying would we still need a car to get aroun in Grand Canyon or would you suggest doing a Tour excursion from Las Vegas. We don't gamble. We would recommend trip ideas.
Thank you.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 09:08 AM

If you're just going for the day, then a flight is an expensive but better option. If you want to spend more time, then you're much better off driving. You can get by at the Grand Canyon without a car, but your options are somewhat limited. There's a free shuttle bus until September 30, and if you are traveling then, you should use it to get around the busiest parts of the South Rim.

But to reach some of the more out-of-the-way parts of the park (or the West or North Rim), you'll have to drive. And if you want to spend 3 days at the Canyon, then I'd recommend trying to see both rims (assuming you are coming before the North Rim closes for the season). And in that case, you really do need a car. It's possible to do the trip without one, but not on a tight schedule.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 10:37 AM

About 20 years ago we took a plane tour to GC. They picked us up at the hotel, drove to the North Vegas airport and flew over the mountains, up Lake Mead and up the canyon where we landed near the south rim. We had a lousy buffet and then went by bus to the iconic view points. After about a couple hours in the National Park we then flew back in time for dinner and shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they still do something similar

The plane was small enough that they made you tell how much you weighed so it would be balanced. It was a great way to see GC if you only had a day and did not want to drive back in the night. If I even had two days, one overnight to see it I would drive and not have to stop only where and how long the tour allowed.

Since then we've been back eight or ten times, usually spending the night and doing some hiking. I would return any time I possibly could.
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Are you actually interested in Las Vegas in and of itself? If not, I'd fly in and out of Phoenix, rent a car, and divide my time between the GC, Sedona, and perhaps also Flagstaff or Prescott.