Help me in White Mountains

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me in White Mountains

Hello,

I'll spend 2 days in the White Mountains area (New Hampshire) next July. My plans are as follows:

1st Day: Lincoln / Conway (along the Kancamagus Hwy) / Gorham / Jefferson / Franconia;

2nd Day: Frankonia Notch Park - incl. Old Man of the Mountain, Cannon Mountain Tramway and Flume Gorge.

Any comments or suggestions. I would deep apreciate.

Thanks,

Portela

Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could probably do all those things in one day. I would suggest going over to Mt. Washington too. It's a beautiful drive through Crawford Notch. You may or may not want to consider the cog RR. Some love the trip, others don't. You do know that the Old Man of the Mt. is no longer there, right? He fell down a couple of years ago.

Also suggest Polly's Pancake Parlor in Twin Mt. for breakfast. Fabulous pamcakes and lovely setting. Expect a line.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a good 2 day plan. A few comments - If you can fit it in, the Mt Washington auto road is very spectacular, especially if it's a clear day. The Kancamagus is a beautiful ride, you might want to pull over and do a few short hikes along the drive - there is even a very inviting swimming area. Lincoln and North Conway are quite touristy, with lots of condos and malls - not exactly quaint New England. Jackson and Sugar Hill are much more picturesque. As the above mentioned, the Old Man is no longer with us , but it is still a beautiful spot.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to plan drive time in your itinerary. The main highways are often crowded during mid-day, especially going into N. Conway for the outlet malls.

We enjoyed the cog RR, but it is cold in dem dere mountains so be prepared.

Swimming in the K river was great fun. Ask a local exactly where to pull over. They will know about the area. There is also a good hiking trail, too.

Flume Gorge was a good hike.

Enjoy.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can either take the Kanc which cuts across the mountains or follow 302 which goes around the top. Both are nice drives. If you will be hanging around No. Conway/Bartlett for the day, you might want to check out Diana's Bath. It is off West Side Road and a fairly easy hiking trail. I also like the Basin on the other side of the mountains. If you have children, Clark's Trained Bears is definitely worth the price of admission. See the bear show and take the train ride which features the wolfman attacking the train. I have been many times over the years and always get a kick out of it. Have a wonderful time in an area that I truly love.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 03:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be so close to Lake Winnipesaukee that I hope you will include it in your visit. You can take a ride on the Mt Washington boat. You might want to visit one of the old grand hotels for an afternoon refreshment break and sit on the porch to enjoy the view. We like the town of Littleton - look for the homemade ice cream place in the old Victorian house.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 04:29 AM
z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget that White Mountains have lots of gorgeous hiking trails. It would be a real shame to visit this area without trekking on a few trails. You could drive to the top of Mount Washington, as suggested, and hike from there along a ridge. Chose a trail accordingly as many trails are challenging.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 05:28 AM
gc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Portela,

Are you planning on going from Lincoln to Conway and staying there the first night? That would be a bit more relaxing.

Day 1: Breakfast at Polly's Pancake Parlour or the Sunny Day Diner. Hike in Franconia Notch SP early, see the Flume and the Basin, then Lincoln to North Conway via the Kancamagus. On the Kanc, stop at the Lower Falls swimming area if it's warm. Continue to North Conway for dinner and shopping....many lodging options. Horsefeathers is the ski bar that's a North Conway institution, and many more good options.

Day 2, Head north to Mt. Washington and go up the auto road via your car or van service. Alternatively, take the chair to the top of Wildcat Mtn for the best view in the northeast. Go west across the top of the White Mountains, or return south to Bartlett and take Bear Notch Road back to Lincoln. The Common Man in Lincoln is the best place for dinner on the west side of the White Mountains.

You can pack a lot into two days. Have sturdy walking shoes, plenty of water, a fleece/windbreaker layer for altitude and clean socks.