Reload this Page >

gift idea for someone spending 5 months in New York City

Notices

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi--here's a weird one for you, especially those of you who live in NYC. I have my brother-in-law's name for christmas, and he is spending the next 5 months (Jan-May) living in the city; I wanted to get him something that he could use while there, something uniquely "New York." He's a university professor, interested in almost everything, but particularly gone on music--jazz and opera especially; books/reading; museums; art; well, you name it.

This is the 2nd time he's done a "sabbatical" in the city, not to mention multiple trips there to visit, so he's not a complete rookie.

I was thinking about a membership to the Metropolitan Museum or MoMA, but that goes over the family-imposed budget; I'm willing to break the rules for something good. Normally I dislike the idea of gift certificates per se, bec/ they seem so impersonal, but maybe in this case that would be OK? The Strand Bookstore?

Any ideas that come to mind? I'd love any suggestions you may have.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM

It might be better if you told us what that "family budget" figure is.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM
GoTravel

A good briefcase/backpack/messenger bag. Essential for living in the city.

A 5 month subscription to a car service

A membership to one of the museums.

A subway pass.

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:42 PM

I just remembered that when we took our backstage tour of the Metropolitan opera, our guide mentioned that he usually does "private" pre-arranged backstage tours, rather than the group tours. You might contact them and see what this requires.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 02:53 PM
GoTravel

I just paid attention to Patrick's reply about budget. That would be helpful.

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

sorry...budget is officially $25.00 (not much, but we have a BIG family!). Usually we go over this limit, so it's not a defining factor.

I'm so surprised--and grateful--that you guys actually read and respond to these questions.

Replies to previous suggestions: Backpack idea is great, although he has one from the previous sabbatical--I assume it's still in working order. He won't have a car; will rely on public transportation. I just looked at the Metrocard website; the 1-month unlimited thing would be perfect, especially if he qualifies for the "reduced rate" for 65 and over! I'm embarrassed to say I don't really know how old he is, but pretty close to 65. And how cool! Subscribe to this for 3 months and get another month free; what a deal.

And now with this "Pale Male" controversy, maybe a set of binoculars is in order! He's also a huge bird-watcher, and I can absolutely picture him staked out in Central Park.

thanks again.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 03:31 PM

How about an admission ticket to MOMA? That's $20. There must be some way a person can buy this in advance without a specific time scheduled.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM

A Zagat guide for restaurants and music.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Tower records gift certificate. Browsing at the main store you can find incredible selections not available anywhere else.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Hello! This is a bit over your budget, but since you said you have some flexibility...what about a membership to the Brooklyn Museum of Art? It's only $55. You can check out the museum at www.brooklynmuseum.org, to see if it's the type of art he would enjoy.

It's a fascinating museum that does a lot of interesting work. Plus it's in a nice part of Brooklyn, near Prospect Park and the Botanic Gardens. There is a subway stop that goes right to it.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Oops, just saw one more thing- adults over age 62 get an additional savings at the Brooklyn Museum, so the membership (if he is in fact that old) would be only $45.

Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry if this goes through twice, the first reponse seems to have disappeared.

TarheelsinNJ, from Tarheelsin, well, NC--Brooklyn Museum sounds wonderful--I didn't know it existed. We did have the Botanical Gardens on our list for "next visit," which I hope is in April.

Howard, the generic MoMA ticket would be superb, if there's a way to get it without a specific time/date. I know he'd love to see the new space--last time we were there together we went to the temp space in Queens.

Ditto for "12 Angry Men," I know he'd LOVE it, but again, I don't think you can get a generic ticket. oh well.

My husband and I are the "foodies" in the familly, so we'd probably benefit more from a Zagat's guide! Still, we could go for a "we'll take you out" certificate when we meet up there in April...We took his 3 youngest sons (our nephews) to Gramercy Tavern on a spur-of-the-moment visit last year, and jeez, what a fun time that was. Awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions; any more?
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:23 PM

For $25 you could get him a black shirt and maybe a black t-shirt to wear under it.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

well there you go; I guess a gift certificate to walmart would work as well.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Gift certificate to Starbucks
Gift certificate to Colony Records
Gift certificate to any restaurant that has a jazz brunch
Membership to the Central Park Zoo - the aviary is wonderful.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Howard, to the best of my knowledge you can't purchase an advance without a specific time scheduled for MOMA. I wanted to get 2 such tickets for parents and was told "no" when I called the museum. If you hear of another way to buy a ticket like this, please post a follow up, the tickets would make a great gift. I also wanted to purchase a few metro cards for my nieces, but you can't buy them from the MTA website (I realize that they are easy to purchase in NYC, but it thought it would be fun to give them to the girls as Christmas stocking stuffers).
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Where is he planning to stay? Maybe a gc to Balducci's (which owns several gourmet delis in town) would be in order. Or even a gc to Restaurant Associates or another locally owned restaurant group?

I have to be honest with you that $25 doesn't buy much in NYC! What about a 7-day Metrocard and a Zagat's? Those are two essentials to living in Manhattan.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 10:25 AM

Sorry - NYC does not have Walmarts.
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM

I wsa going to suggest the Metropolitan Museum membership. Since he is affilited with a school, you should find out if there is a further discount. You can purchase a membership online, with an internet discount, about $60...but I would do it soon, because they are about to raise the fee, in keeping with MOMA's new increase. I just think a museum pass or memebership is the most interesting way to go. But you could probably also make a resevation at a jazz club. I don't know if The Strand has gift certificates, but that's a great way to go, and there are a number of excellent neighborhood restaurants around 12th St.
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 05:03 AM

nytraveler - Amen to that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO