help me find a place for our 15th anniversary

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me find a place for our 15th anniversary

in May. I don't know why this has been so difficult for me. I want to go somewhere we haven't been before with great bed and breakfasts, interesting art -- not just painting but handmade things that are not trinkets -- hiking, interesting things to do.

I have thought about Stowe, VT but the black flies at that time of year -- I have thought about Southern Utah but can't find any neat place to stay ( we can go another time -- I just want a great b&b to stay at) ; I have thought about Sedona but we would want to go to the Grand Canyon at the same time and the places to stay inside the park are sold out, I have thought about Naples. the Keys, Cumberland Island and St Augustine ( but it sounds like St A might not have enough to do for 4-5 days) and the Olympic Peninsula but it seems that end of May is not the best time to visit.

Places we have already been are Colorado, Maine, California, Taos and Sante Fe; NYC; Vancouver and Seattle; Hawaii (want to go back but too long to get to for 5-7 days); Asheville ( a favorite place but we have been several times)

Don't know why my brain can't figure this out but I do appreciate your help!

Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:36 AM

I have never been to Savannah, but have always wanted to go and it sounds like the perfect trip for you.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:44 AM

I've been to Savannah several times, and I couldn't find 2-3 days worth of stuff to do - but what would be perfect would be spend 2 days or so in Savannah and then drive up to Charleston for another 2-3 days.

Of course to "get in the mood" you have to read The Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The graveyard mentioned in the book is worth a visit - it's dripping with history and spanish moss. There are great restaurants and strolling around to do. Also check out The Crab Shack near Tybee Island.

http://www.thecrabshack.com/

Charleston is a great town to wander around in, check out some great old plantations and get a little civil war history. The best restaurant we found was:

http://www.charlestongrill.com/#home

Another idea - if you want to splurge, here's a place we have always wanted to go - Little St. Simons Island. Have fun!

http://www.littlestsimonsisland.com/

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Sorry in the first sentence I meant that I couldn't find 4-5 days worth of stuff to do.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Brutforce

I'll suggest Amelia Island which will also allow you the ability to visit St. Augustine. (Savannah also if you like). That amount of time is also a great time to meander out the Keys. Start in Miami, take your time going out & fly out of Key West.

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Portland , OR.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Jackson N.Hampshire in the centrze of the White mountains.Beautiful.Paul
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM

This is an easy one....just keep checking every few days for a cancellation at Grand Canyon. Yes they sell out early but when people book so far in advance there are always lots of cancellations. Don't give up on that idea.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:45 AM

How about New Orleans? Lots of great B and Bs in the Fauborg Marigny. Good May weather.