Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help me find a Breckenridge Hotel that wasn't decorated in the 80s!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are super excited about our trip to CO Jan. 28-31. We've narrowed it down to Breckenridge, Vail or Beaver Creek. It's for my husbands birthday so we want to stay somewhere a little nicer than normal. Our limit is ~$300 per night. There's just two of us.

The only requirements are:
- Ski-in/ski-out
- No hideous decor!

We stayed at Capella Telluride over the summer. We absolutely LOVED the decor and kind of assumed Vail would have the same types of places. I really love the looks of Arrabelle and the Osprey but both are out of our price range. I'm trying not to be too picky but I have never seen such dated decor (and looking on VRBO is worse than the hotels!). I keep telling myself that these sites just haven't updated their photos in the past ten years, but I know that can't be the case. I'm just looking for your usual Hampton Inn decor - Modern/classic with white linens and no maroon/hunter green color schemes.

Does this exist? As long as the rooms don't remind me of Gatlinburg, I think we'll be okay. I realize it's the mountains and people are expecting the rustic look, but there has to be something for those of us that don't care for it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM

You demands are high. There is very little true ski in and out at any of those locations. Breck has a lot of ski in along 4 o'clock run and off of the Snowflake lift. It is always tough to get much of a deal on the weekends. You might try the Hyatt which sits at the base of Bachelor's Gulch (Beaver Creek complex). It is near bankruptcy so you might get a deal. Beaver Creek would be a better choice for the weekend but crowds would be smaller.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a village-view room at the Christiana at Vail would be $300 (before taxes) for your dates. You can ski to the back of the lodge if there's snow. European decor, recently renovated.

http://www.christiania.com/

But you may be too late for a weekend trip in only 3 weeks.
Old Jan 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM

I think Vail and Beaver Creek would provide more of a special-occasion experience, though I don't have any specific properties to recommend. Better variety of restaurants are in either of these locations, as compared to Breck.

In Breck, you could look at Hyatt Main Street Station (this might be the Hyatt property frmden was referring to, as Bachelor Gulch is at Beaver Creek), which was built in 2001, or Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge, which is slightly older, but I remember (friends owned a unit here) as being pretty nice inside. Both might be too "mountainy" for you. They aren't directly ski-in/ski-out, but you can easily walk to the lift, so to me, that would be close enough.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 06:54 AM

No, Lexma90, I was correct. I just looked it up. The correct name is Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort. It is fairly new and raps around the end of one of the chair lifts in the Bachelor Gulch area. Local papers have reported that it is struggling financially and were offering some super deals in November. Assume it is still offering deals.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the correction - I'm not so familiar with the rental properties, as we own a condo in Breck, which is not ski-in / ski-out, and definitely built in the '80s, so won't be on the OP's list!