Help Me Choose My Hawaiian Hotel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help - totally confused - have to choose between The Royal Hawaiian (Garden View Room), The Outrigger on the Beach (Partial Ocean View Room) or the Wakiki Beach Marriott Resort. Which hotel is better for location, close to shops, restautants, nightlife? Is it worth paying the extra $ for an ocean view room.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I would pick the Royal Hawaiian any time. Just so "old Hawaii", the way things used to be. It's a classic. It's very well located. Some people have said they thought it was "stuffy" and personally I don't find it so. I stayed there the first time years ago when I was 18, I was treated wonderfully by all the staff, and just had a wonderful time. They did NOT allow you to go through the lobby in your bathing suit. There was an outside elevator that went down to the beach. I didn't consider that a problem. Anyway, I wouldn't stay any place else if I wanted to be in Wakiki and had my druthers. As far as the ocean view room goes, that's a choice you'll have to make. It adds to the ambience for sure, but only you can say if it's worth it to you.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:41 AM

I would agree that the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana are the quintessential Waikiki hotels. That said tho I just stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach in April and it is very nice: newly decorated rooms, frequently they upgrade you to ocean (we were),three restaurants on site plus a coffee shop-not Starbux but similar, close to everything but quiet and reasonably cheap. In April during peak spring break time we paid 159/nt. It is not overly personality plus like the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana but pretty darn nice.
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If i could afford them I'd stay at either the Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider in a heartbeat!!
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I don't have any personal experience with any of these hotels, but wanted to comment on ocean view vs. garden view. I'd rather regret overspending for an ocean view than regret not having one.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure which Outrigger you are talking about.

The entire Waikiki strip is filled with shops, restaurants and nightlife. So all the hotels are close.

Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach (most times just referred to as Outrigger Waikiki) or Outrigger Reef On The Beach (or just Outrigger Reef).

The International Market Place is about in the middle of Waikiki.

Waikiki Beach Marriott is located about 3-4 blocks Diamond Head side of the International Market Place, toward the end of the main Waikiki hotels near the zoo. Although it is right across the street from the main area of the beach, there are no hotels between the Marriott and the beach. This area of the beach is the most scenic. Tiki's Grill and Bar is in a hotel right next to the Marriott.

Outrigger Waikiki is located almost directly across the street from International Market Place. It is right on the beach. This is right in the center of Waikiki. Dukes is in this hotel.

The Royal Hawaiian is located right behind the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. This is close to the International Market Place and Outrigger Waikiki. It is also right on the beach. This hotel is only a few stories high.

Outrigger Reef on the beach is located about 3 blocks west of International Market Place. This hotel is also right on the Beach. There is some major construction going on in this area.

Only you can decide what your budget is and the type of room you want.

For me, when I travel, I don't spend much time in or around the hotels, so I get inexpensive hotels without worrying about the view. But, then I can afford to go out and see and do more things.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is a great hotel. We stayed there last summer and are returning again this summer. It's been recently remodeled, and it has a fabulous location on Waikiki, great restaurants, and the service was the friendliest we had on the islands.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM

It's been a while since I was in Hawaii, but I stayed at the Outrigger and was very pleased. (Nice to see it has been newly decorated!) It was in a terrific location, right on the beach, and close to everything.

We wandered around the Royal Hawaiian one afternoon, and I really liked that one very much. It just seems to take you back in time in a wonderfully nostalgic way. If I had it to do now I would choose the Royal Hawaiian simply for the ambience. At the time I went, I was 21 and went with 2 friends who were 19 and 20 and the staff treated us very well - considering we were poking around the hotel! The people we encountered in the hallways and lobby did appear "old" but we were very young so what can I say? It is in a convenient location, though I recall it being further away from the beach. That would be the only "fault" I could find - and that's a stretch!

When we went to Hawaii, I wanted a hotel on the beach, with a balcony, and a view of the beach. In the Outrigger we did get a balcony and if we turned the left, we could see Wakiki. And basically the only thing we used the balcony for was to hang out our swimsuits to dry more quickly. And the only time admired the view was 1) to take the initial pictures and 2) to check out how crowded the beach was at the end of the second day. Other than that, we never used it. Personally, I would save the extra money and just a room. But this really is more of a personal choice.
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:45 PM

The Royal Hawaiian is on the beach. You can go up on the Surf Terrace from the beach, in your bathing suit and have luch, snack, or what ever. When I first stayed there, in the "stoneage", they did not hide the Hotel with that shopping center. There was a beautiful walkway up to the hotel from the street..it was gorgous..but..progress you know. At least the Moana still has the porch and rockers. I stayed there my last trip to Honolulu and that's another great hotel, and it's on the beach also.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM

If having a balcony/lanai is important to, you may not want to stay at the Royal Hawaiian, as not all rooms have one. All the rooms at the Outrigger have lanais, regardless of view. I'm not sure about the Mariott.