Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which of these 5 hotels is better in Honolulu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to use FF points for our stay in Honolulu....which of these places have better rooms....Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Marriott Waikiki or Hilton hawaiian?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Personally, if I had my "druthers", I wouldn't stay anywhere in Honolulu but the Royal or the Moana. The history of the places, the style. They are both just so classy. There are some who refer to them as "stuffy"..so..not sure what kind of atmosphere you are looking for. All hotels have different classes of rooms. We had a two bedroon suite at the Royal, garden view, had a "normal" room at he Moana, very nicely appointed, partial ocean view. Both were very nice. Hope you're happy with which ever hotel you choose.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:04 PM

I too love the Moana Surfrider. As crefloors, said, there's something about its history. If you stay, try to take one of the free tours the hotel offers (twice a week or so).
So cool to see posters of old Waikiki, and only two hotels along the beach: Moana and Royal Hawaiian.
IF you decide on that, I'd suggest a room in the Diamond Tower . If you are using FfFpoints and they give you the basic room, perhaps ask if you can upgrade (depending on availability) or even pay bit more for a room with view toward the ocean. Some of their basic rooms are "city view" and noisy. The beach in front of the Moana is usually considered to be the best part of Waikiki for swimming.
BTW, you said 5 hotels, but there are 4 on your list.

Happy traveling!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Ooops forgot to add the 5th...."w"
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:49 AM

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is beautiful, especially the grounds.
I loved it there.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:05 AM

I would definitely stay at the W, but I bet I'm the only one. It doesn't have a pool and it's not right on the beach (there's another building between it and the beach), BUT I've loved every W I've ever stayed in, it's a lot smaller than the other hotels, it's in a much quieter area (across the street from a big park and not as much vehicle or foot traffic), and the beach is way less crowded that Waikiki proper. It's about a 10-minute walk from the action, so it's still easy to get to.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM

I haven't stayed at either the Moana or the Royal Hawaiian, but they are both beautiful, historic hotels. However, if having a lanai is important to you, note that not all the rooms at either of these hotel have them. It depends on what wing and or class of room you book.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would choose the Moana or Royal Hawaiian for their central location and because they are both gorgeous historic hotels. But if room size, pool size, etc. are important maybe a more modern building would suit you? I can't afford either but if I could the old Moana would absolutely be my first pick.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:08 AM

Royal is a classic and the service is excellent. We had a standard garden view room, quite nice, but during the first night I kept feeling something crawling on me and in my hair. I found these little critters that looked like termites. Upon taking a sample of them to the front desk I learned they were indeed termites, and it happens sometimes that the little buggers will infest the older furniture and woodwork of the hotel (a never ending battle to keep them at bay). Anyway, long story short, the staff was extremely apologetic and the hotel manager even met with us to convey his sorrow at this. Then we were moved to a large ocean view one bedroom suite with balcony to make up for this.

The location is excellent as well.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:05 PM

Curt, you've just given me an idea. Next time in Honolulu (or anywhere!) maybe i will \bring a termite (I'm sure there are some in my house) in a little bag and unload him at a posh old hotel. Reminds me of the scene in the film "Gypsy" where they get a free meal that way!
Seriously... great customer service. An ocean view SUITE!!?? What a way to experience Waikiki!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM

My vote goes to Moana. It has an elegant feeling of old Hawaii and makes you feel like you step back in time.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:42 AM

Moana bar none. Then HHV.