Search

Help? Key West

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Jackie

Help? Key West

We are thinking of vacationing plans this fall and considering Key West for October this year. Where's a good place to stay in Key West. Also, what's there to do and see. We are in our early 30's and not big on watersports, but don't want to be bored either. Any advice......

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:18 AM
traveler

Check out www.keywest.com for list of accomadations, w/ pictures and prices. Fantasy Fest is the end of Oct. and prices will be high then, if not already booked. Take a conch train tour to get to know the history of the island and where things are. Tour Hemingway's house, Audubon's house, Mel Fishers Gold Museum (gold from Spanish Galleons)other historical places. Pub crawl, if that's your thing, rent a moped or bike and explore on your own, get a walking tour map to explore and learn about all the neat houses, go to Sunset @ Mallory Square. Have fun and take sun tan lotion.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM
J T Kirk

Since you're going to have a week, why not check out the other Keys? Go to Largo for snorkeling/diving at John Pennekamp State Park. Check out Islamorda, go to the beach at Bahia Honda, watch for the key deer around Big Pine.
Key West is a great place to do nothing. Something's always in bloom in Key West, and it's always pleasant just do be doing "nothing."

Have fun.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:45 AM
grglnswsh

There is still PLENTY to do even if you are not into watersports. Fantasy Fest this year is a little earlier (18th - 27th) so you will find some pretty pricey rates if you are down during that time, especially towards the end of it.
For things to do, there is a ton. We have lots and lots of museums - Lighthouse, Mel Fishers, Hemingway House, to name a few. Check out the aquarium. Do the Conch Tour Train. We have some wonderful walking tours that will take you through some very beautiful streets. If you dare try an Ultralight flight around the island. If you want to check out the reef but you are not interested in diving it you could always go on one of the glass bottom boats. Don't miss the Ghost Tour. Very fun. Have a great time.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:11 AM
scott

Sunset Celebrations at Mallory
Rent scooters and explore the island
Ghost tour
Have drinks at Schooner Wharf and listen to the great music
Conch Tour Train
Parasail

The restaurants alone could keep you busy for weeks there are sooo many good ones.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 08:02 AM
MD4

We went to Key West last October, right after Fantasy Fest and it was great. We were actually there over Halloween, and that seemed pretty tame. Probably less crowded than it might have usually been, so we hardly had to wait for tables at restaurants. All suggestions here for things to do are great- you won't be bored. It's a great place to relax.

Also a good suggestion to drive through the Keys a bit, although we preferred staying in Key West, they were interesting to see and a nice drive.

For places to stay, there are lots of B&Bs. We stayed at La Pensione and the Mermaid & the Alligator and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Only one small thing, and it is unpredictable- Sept/Oct is hurricane season. At the end of our week there, a hurricane (George, maybe?) was entering the area. By Sunday, they were evacuating Key West, but we had left by then to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale. I loved being there that time of year and I would try it again.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:12 AM
TJ

We liked the Hilton (not a big B&B fan). It was right on the pier so you could wander easily. Also, there is a private beach (Sunset Key) that Hilton guests can access. It's a short boat ride from the pier and very uncrowded (it's on a separate little island with private homes and guest cottages). There was a restaurant on the beach so we would order lunch from our lounge chairs.

The cost was about $10 a day (tickets from concierge) and you had to go relatively early (by 10 or so) because they close access to all but residents when it gets at all crowded. We liked relaxing during the day and then going out on the town at night.

Good restaurants....Cafe Marquesa and Seven Fish.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:30 PM
xxx

Tr

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
john

i just returned from a wonderful stay
at the francis street bottle inn, a
terrific bed and breakfast in old town.
we ate at some incredible restaurants,
turtle kraals, seven fish and cafe
sole. rent a bike and explore this
paradise.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:11 PM
VitoCorleone

Key West is a great place, but only if you are going to party. There is Smathers beach and all the typical tourist stuff others have mentioned. The Banyan Resort, Heron House, The Palms Hotel, and Andrews Inn are probably the best bets for hotels, depending on what you want. My advice though is to avoid Key West (unless you're gonna just hit the bars and clubs...). It is really corny (sorry , but it's true) and most of the tourist attractions are not really great.. Of all the places in Florida (and elsewhere) that you could go (especially if you're not in to watersports) you can find better beaches, better shopping, better nighlife, etc. It just depends on what you are looking for. I don't know. I've been there a bunch of times with different groups and ages of people and we seem to find that it's great for like a day. There's something for everyone-- but not enough (in my humble opinion) to make a worthwhile vacation out of. Hope this helps and hope not to upset anyone!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:13 PM
x

Vito...........eat shit. You have no idea what you are talking about!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:21 PM
jessie

There's something for everyone-- but not enough (in my humble opinion) to make a worthwhile vacation out of.

Well then, why is Key West and the Keys one of the biggest draws in Florida??????