Search

Help in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in Atlanta

My boyfriend and I are taking a 3 day trip to Atlanta in September. We are flying in and wish to stay away from renting a car. We plan on going to see the Braves play. I am looking for a good hotel central to shopping, resturants and sightseeing. I really don't want anything extravagant like the Ritz but I would like a nice place. Plus hints on where to dine?
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:19 AM

Do a search; there have been several posts discussing these topics.

You'll need a car. Atlanta's mass transit is, for all intents and purposes, a joke.

I'd think Midtown is the area in which you should stay.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:41 AM

I lived in Atlanta for a couple of years... It's a beautiful city. But seriously, you will need a car rental. Sorry for the bad news. For shopping and dining out, look to stay in the buckhead area. Specifically near lenox square mall. There are a couple of nice places right there like the Ritz and a JW marriot.
There are two malls right across the street from eachother, both upscale. And from Lenox mall, you can take the marta(transit) up to perimeter mall... more shopping. And great restaurants all around. Let me know if you need more suggestions.

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:41 AM

You could do this without a car. Good hotel choice is Embassy Suites Buckhead on Peachtree Rd. Within walking distance of Buckhead MARTA station and Lenox Mall. From that station you can get to the airport, the game, downtown tourist attractions and the Midtown entertainment district. You may want to explore the Virginia Highland neighborhood (shops/restaurants) or Little 5 Points (bohemean shops/bars/restaurants) and could do either by MARTA bus (if you're adventurous) or by cab.

If you're not interested in malls and want to be closer in, I'd recommend the Wyndam Hotel in Midtown at Peachtree & 10th Street. It's centrally located for Midtown bars/restuarants/clubs/parks and is only 1 block from the Midtown MARTA station. In fact, this may be a better choice even if you want to go to Lenox Mall (easy train ride).
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:17 AM

I am staying at the Embassy Suites in Buckhead later this month and will be with a senior citizen and another person who has some back problems. I want to use the MARTA, but am concerned with how many times we have to switch trains or if we have to get on buses to go to the game, airport, etc. Any help would be appreciated. I hope it's okay I used this post for my question! Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Just one train to/from the airport and one train plus a shuttle bus to the game. The Buckhead MARTA station is about 3/10 of a mile from the hotel (on the same street).
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Thanks for your help Brian!
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:50 PM
JWH

Hi. My wife and I live in a suburb of Atlanta and sometimes will stay downtown. Check out the Granada Suites. It is a Best Western. Good midtown location (near shopping and museums). Get a suite and you end up with a large living room/kithen downstairs and a nice size bedroom upstairs. We used a AAA discount and got a room for $65!!! They upgraded us to a suite since we had signed up for the Best Western Gold Crown Club. It isn't luxury but I think it is the best deal in town (they even serve free drinks on weekdays from 5-7 and they have a nice free breakfast buffet everyday). If you are on a budget I would recomend this. But....you will need a car or lots of taxis almost anywhere you stay.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 08:55 PM

A quick check of the Georgia board at biddingfortravel.com showed that rooms through priceline were going for about $40 - $45 for 4 star downtown hotels. Same for Perimeter.

4 star in Buckhead was $56.00.

You might want to see what hotwire has to offer for your dates in Atlanta.

Old Jul 19th, 2003, 07:41 PM

I go to ATL quite a bit and always use priceline (after checking with www.biddingfortravel.com). I've always been able to get a 3 or 4* hotel for under $50. I'd recommend Buckhead for your stay - you'll be near the best shopping, great restaurants and nightlife - as well as easy access to MARTA.

And I have done ATL without a car, too. It takes a little planning but can work out just fine. All the Buckhead hotels have shuttles that will take you to the shopping areas - and a lot of things are accessible by MARTA. I much prefer MARTA to driving in ATL.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Know this is a late post, but wanted to give my two cents.

I agree with Brian in Atlanta. You can accomplish the game and shopping without a car and by using Marta.

Shopping locations accessible directly from MARTA include:

-Lenox Mall
-Phipps Plaza
-Perimeter Mall

All other locations would likely include a bus ride.