Help!!Hilton Head Accomodations!

Old May 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Help!!Hilton Head Accomodations!

Hi We are traveling to Hilton Head in June and we have reservations at the full service Hilton. I am having second thoughts about maybe trying to stay in a condo/villa instead. Has anyone stayed in these condos? We are two families with children and one set of grandparents........what does everyone think????(We have three hotel rooms now and would probably opt for two large condos.)
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM
KandKmom

We have been going to HH for about 5 years now. We stayed at the Villamare- a 2 br condo unit in the Palmetto Dunes area and loved it. It was about 1375 sq. ft- bigger than my husband's and my first apartment! We actually rented from a private party- we found the villa by doing a search online. You may want to look at the areas local paper as well for local people (and others) who rent their unit.I know the Villamare had some 3 br units. The paper's website is www.islandpacket.com.
The Villamare was a little bit less upscale than some of the neighboring properties ( and therefore less $) but we thought the beach there was the most beautiful one on HH. My parents actually bought a timeshare through Marriott (at the Grande Ocean- down near Sea Pines) while we were there. Although we love the Grande Ocean, we all still feel that Palmetto Dunes has the best beach. After staying in these spacious villas with the huge kitchens, baths, etc. I don't think we would ever go back to a regular hotel room, but that is just us. Hope this helps!

Old May 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM
KandKmom

Hey girlonthego, I just went to the Island Packet site to double check I had given you the right info. I punched in short term rentals and found 32 by owner listings. One was a 2 BR at the Villamare with pictures- their website was www.saveonhiltonheadcondos.com and the other was a 3 br- 3.5 ba at the Huntington villas - which are right near the Villamare. They gave their phone # 859-331-1894. Good luck!

Old May 25th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

KandKMom:Thanks so much for the information! I will check into this. When you went, did you need to bring linens and towels and beach chairs or are they provided for you? How close are the restaurants and shopping? We don't plan to eat dinner in the room. Just breakfast and lunches. Also, how was the bedding? comfortable or lumpy? Any other info is greatly appreciated!!
Anyone else with a good or bad experience?
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:34 PM
KandKmom

Hi again,
Yes, you will need to provide your own chairs and towels in the villas, or at least at the Villamare and Marriott villas. I am not sure about others. The island is not big- 9 miles long so everything is close. We absolutely love HHI. There are so many great restaurants and shopping. Try Hudson's, Old Oyster Factory and Steamers for dinner. Another 2 sites for rental accommodations you may want to look into are www.tug2.net and www.oceanfrontrentals.com The TUG site has links to a classified section where owners rent their weeks. You can usually get a week much cheaper here than going thru an agency, but with the month you are going being so close, they may not be as available. The Oceanfront Rental company was who we used the first time-we thought they were fine to deal with. They have many different properties(including homes- some that are incredible million dollar mansions!)on all parts of the island. I think you will love Hilton Head. Have a great time! Hope I have helped a bit.

Old May 25th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KandKmom-
Your information was so helpful to those of us who have been contemplating HH! Thanks to you and the original poster for this informative thread. Threehearts
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:21 PM

I second the suggestion of renting a villa instead of staying in a hotel. I also prefer Palmetto Dunes Plantation over Sea Pines. It is mid island so very convenient to everything. The harbor right across the street from the plantation entrance has free fireworks every Tuesday night which is quite enjoyable. You should go to see the famous lighthouse and shops in Sea Pines while there though.. They charge ($5 a car I think) for entering Sea Pines but you can park near the entrance and take a shuttle bus into town.
I have stayed in Windsor Place and Barrington Court Villas and loved both. I highly recommend them along with Windsor Court and Hampton Place. I believe they are all newer than Villamare and the beach is just a bit wider at high tide also. Hampton is the newest, then Windsor Place, Windsor Ct., Barrington Ct. and Barrington Pl. being the oldest. They are beautiful.
Yes you do bring your own beach chairs and towels but the linens for the beds and bathroom towels are all included as well as the clean up fee. It is so nice having a washer and dryer there in the villa and the grounds are landscaped beautifully. I loved eating out on the balcony with the lovely tropical surroundings. They have done a very nice job with the layouts of the villas also. I believe most second bedrooms face the ocean along with the master bedroom instead of sticking them in the back. Also we had two full baths last summer in the one bedroom villa, which was very nice since I went with a friend instead of my family. Most villas also have sleeper sofas that one of my boys preferred using instead of sharing the room with his brother a few years back. I know you'll enjoy your stay. Villas are definitely the way to go instead of hotel rooms in my opinion.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:15 PM
KandKmom

Hey all of you Hilton Head fans!

I found another great website for Hilton Head. It is www.hhisleinfo.com The only thing I found missing was rental properties in the Palmetto Dunes area. I don't know why those are omitted (maybe the person who runs the website has interest in the other areas for personal reasons Anyway, it is full of information. Enjoy!

Old May 28th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I agree with staying in a villa vs hotel room. We stay in Sea Pines when we go down...have rented through Worthy Rentals and vacation villa rentals. We really liked Glen Eagle green. It was a 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath with pull out couch. It was a townhouse and it was huge. Within walking distance to Harbourtown. Linens were provided. We have a blast every time we go down. Have fun!
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your information! We have cancelled our hotel and book villas on the beach in Palmetto Dunes. I will report back after we go! Thanks again.......