HELP Having trouble deciding between Coronado and La Jolla

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've posted a few other times. As background, for my husbands 50th birthday I got him tickets to Breeders Cup in Santa Anita in November. I want to visit the San Diego area and am having such a hard time deciding between Lajolla or Coronado. I had gotten a deal at Coronado for the Victorian room for 195 with parking but I'm kind of getting mixed reviews. As I've said before we both love the beach so had my heart set on staying on the beach. I was originally looking into the La Valencia in La Jolla. What would you say is the difference between the two areas? Im driving myself crazy thinking I definetly have my mind made up than I doubt my decision.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Presume you mean the Hotel del Coronado; it is the most historic hotel in the San Diego area; the old rooms are small but charming, not sure what the Victorian is. Everyone should stay at the Del at least once in their lives. The beach there is lovely, wide walks for biking, running, blading, etc. The small town is very relaxing, lovely architecture, you can ferry over to downtown San Diego. But the food at the Del is not the greatest, and it is very pricey. But to know who walked through there... There is one fine french restaurant around the corner, but Coronado is not known for its dining. It is also a ride to get back on the mainland and get to other beaches. The Valencia in LaJolla is lovely, more of a European style hotel, and while you're a very short walk to the ocean, there are not beaches right there (only for seals!), you'd have to drive to LaJolla Cove/Shores, or down to BirdRock or Wind n Sea. Downtown La Jolla now suffers from vast overcommercialization but has great restaurants: George's, The Cottage (brfst/lunch), Acqua Trattoria. I guess I'd pick the Valencia, but last time we checked, rate was extremely high, but it does not have many grounds; the acreage on which sits the Del is more relaxing, vast. If you stay in LaJolla, be sure and drive down to Coronado and tour the Del, very interesting hour. Also drive up to Mt. Soledad on a clear day, off I-5, either from LaJolla or Garnet exits. Point Lobo also worthwhile, and my favorite shopping is a bit north in Solana Beach on South Cedros.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all your info. I seem to be leaning toward just making up my mind and staying at the Hotel del Coronado From previous posts the rate I got wasn't great so I may call and see if they would up grade the room. the atmosphere at that hotel sounds like a good experience. My husband also loves to fish? Is there any fishing around that area. I know we want to definetly see the zoo. We love the outdoors. THe drive to Mt Soledad sounds beautiful. Any other must sees It is our first time to Southern california. How about any wineries?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM

La Jolla!
Hotel Del Coronado is lovely but the rooms are old, small and though we live here, lots of our friends and family want to stay and then once when they do, they aren't so enamoured..
LJ is a lovely town..La Valencia and Grande Colonial are both older hotel with small rooms too..but the area is lovely..
I would do the day at the Del and have brunch at the Crown Room.
They have half and full day boats out of Quivira Basin and Point Loma..
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 06:55 PM

What do you like about the beach? The beach scenery is dramatically different between the two locations. One is mostly a large expanse of sand and water that goes on and on, but is great for finding whole sea dollars, finding a section of sand to have all to yourself for a long time, and just blue ocean(Coronado). The other (La Jolla) has dramatic cliffs, sea otters on rocks, and a protected snorkeling area.

I find Coronado to be more laid back and quiet while La Jolla is a more ritzy and commercialized.

For fishing, I would think that your better bet is in the Coronado area on the bay side of the island, but I'm not positive...something you should look into.

Whichever you decide to stay in, you should definitely drive to the other and visit.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM

The wineries closest to SD are in the Temecula area, northeast of the city,with the droughts the hills and valleys driving there are not scenic; probably an hour and one-half drive; they do not compare with the wineries in the Santa Barbara or Napa or Sonoma regions; save that for another trip. Drive up the 101 north of downtown LaJolla, the Torrey Pines area of town, LaJolla Shores (do you lie kayaking?), Del Mar, Solana Beach. Jakes or Poseidon in DelMar are great for dinner at sunset as they are on the beach. The food is good, reliable, and attract a nice crowd.