Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island Itinerary - Please review/advise!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I want to apologize for how long this itinerary may seem. I am the type of person that has to have a plan and I would like to thank anyone in advance for reading this and advising me.

Please note that we are both 50 years old and have been to the Big Island once before 4 years ago. We are both very active people and only enjoy relaxing at a beach for an hour or so at a time.

DAY 1

Arrive very late – check into Kona Reef.

DAY 2

•Get acquainted with our hotel, get groceries, rent snorkel equipment for later in the week. Go to Beach 69 and soak in some sun to catch up with time change.

•Petroglyphs by Mauna Lani (one hour).

•Beach walk at Mauna Lani.

•Head back to hotel for sunset.

DAY 3

Green Sand Beach – hike an hour to the beach and then go to Pu’uhonua o Hunaunau National Park - Two Step – to snorkel.

DAY 4

•Drive to Waipio Valley for a small hike then back track towards Kona and do the following.

•Nature loop in Kolopa State Park through native forest – WORTH IT?? HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE??

•Pololu Valley – hike to beach and have lunch (roughly 90 minute hike to and from beach).

•Hawi – Tropical Dreams for Ice cream.

•Lapakahi Park--Historic fishing village Pamphlet w/ explanations of numbered sites on the walk Puukohola Heiu sites – HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE??

IS THIS TOO MUCH FOR ONE DAY??

DAY 5

OPEN DAY – This is where I was wondering if I should cancel one night at Kona Reef and book one more night at the Volcano Teapot Cottage (if it is available) and start our exploring in that area or if I can do what is written on day 8 before we go to the airport for our flight to Kauai - I have not booked our inter-island flight yet - waiting for replies?????

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DO THIS DAY IF WE STAY IN KONA AREA??

DAYS 6 and 7

Drive to Volcano Teapot Cottage (staying there 2 nights) – explore VNP and possibly night viewing of Lava flow (Kalapana)

DAY 8 - PUNA – After checking out of Teapot Cottage (or should I add a night at the cottage to do this???)

•Day trip to Puna: (scenic drive hwy 137)

•Lava Tree State monument

•Kopoho beach (tide pools to snorkel if we decide to keep our snorkel equipment and bring it to Kauai for drop off)

•Hot pond: Ahalanui beach park

•Black Sand Beach

•Drive around Pahoa and explore

•Arrive at Hilo Airport to check-in for our flight to Kauai (we will be staying in Kauai one week also).

I have not yet booked my inter-island flight as I am waiting for advice to see if this is doable.

Thanks again to anyone who reads all this and gives me advice.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Since you've been to the Big Island before, you must be aware of the distances. For me, it would be too much driving; particularly on day 4. It is very HOT at Lapakahi Park. This rather long walk is best done early in the morning.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM

I agree with Barbara--too much on day 4. Just driving time alone will be about 5 hours. I assume you are planning on hiking into and out of Waipio and that you are in great shape. The road in is short but quite steep. If you are planning on driving in, you must have 4-wheel drive (and most, if not all, car rental agencies forbid driving on that road). I would skip Kalopa State Park--it's mildly interesting--but not enough to make a small back track on a busy day.

If you stay in Kona on day 5, you could visit a coffee farm--there are many. We like Greenwell Farms http://www.greenwellfarms.com/ or Mountain Thunder http://www.mountainthunder.com/kona_coffee_tour.php
You could snorkel Kealekakua Bay.
You could visit Holualoa http://www.holualoahawaii.com/ and visit galleries and have lunch at the Holuakoa Cafe.http://www.holualoahawaii.com/
You could go to the beaches at 'Anaeho'omalu Bay (A Bay), Hapuna or Kekaha Kai (often deserted during the week)
Visit Koloko-Honokohau national historic park--just north of Kailua-http://www.nps.gov/kaho.

As far as what you have planned for day 8--if you have a late afternoon/early evening flight to Kauai from Hilo--you could do what you have listed. I would do them in the following order--
Lava Tree State Monument (a few "lava trees"--the area is small--wouldn't take much time)
Kapoho Tide Pools (FYI-there is no beach in Kapoho Beach Lots--there is the Champagne Pond. Also it is a gated community, so if you want to go to the Champagne Pond, park by the gate and walk in.) The best tide pools to snorkle are located in Vacationland, just south of Kapoho Beach Lots. It's best to go during high tide.http://tinyurl.com/l48os8
Continue down highway 137 (the Red Road)-and stop at Ahalanui for a swim.
Continue down the highway to Kehena Black Sand Beach-(it might not be a good idea to stop there with all your stuff in the car--guidebooks warn against it)
Return to Pahoa--it is a small town with a few shops and restaurants in the several block downtown.

Hope this is helpful
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Given that itinerary it's better to stay in Waikoloa instead of Kona (it's much closer to your activites the first several days, and will save many hours of driving), and move the green sand beach trip to Day 6 or 7, during your time in VNP.

I also agree about Day 4, it's too much to enjoyably cover in one day. Personally I'd replace the Kolopa State Park trip with the Botanical Gardens in Onomea.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM

On day four, you might want to leave off Waipio and Kalopa, because the area which you would be seeing, including the town of Honoka'a, is similar to Hawi and Kapa'au and Pololu. If you are rushing to do both, you'll miss their individual quirky charms, as they are a couple of hours apart, (although on a map they look like they are close, there is no direct road between them) and you would be better off spending your time exploring instead of driving.

If you will be coming between late December and April, the drive north of Kona is great for spotting whales. In addition to Lapakahi, you can stop at Pu'ukohola, a historic heiau. http://www.nps.gov/puhe/planyourvisit/index.htm Both those places are free state or national parks, so you can spend a just little time, or hike and picnic. I don't think Lapakahi is that hot, and I usually go in the afternoon, although it closes at 3:30.

The towns of Hawi and Kapa'au are fun to explore, including shoreline access hikes, and then the drive to Waimea (or Kamuela) is beautiful in the late afternoon, and you can have a nice dinner at Merriman's.

That day would still have a lot of driving, but I think you would enjoy it. This is a good day for photographing scenery, as well.

You can also do the Hawi/Pololu trip as an afternoon after the Mauna Lani, and have dinner at the Bamboo, especially on a Friday or Saturday night when there is music.

If you don't make it up north, Kauai will make a good substitute with its lush beauty and rural charm.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I will try to comprehend all your advice and see how I can revise my itinerary.

Any other suggestions - especially hiking places would be appreciated.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Girardin, you already have the premier hiking spots on your list. One can spend a few days just in Waipio Valley and not get bored.

I came across this travel report some time ago, it's the best I've ever read for Waipio:

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/l...i13mar30001520
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM

The Kilauea Iki hike in VNP is fun and not too long. It takes no longer that 2 hours unless you spend lots of time in the crater. It's easier if you go counter clockwise from the Kilauea Iki overlook. (When facing the crater from the overlook, go to your right.) http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisi...kilaueaiki.htm