Help choosing a Vegas show, I've seen several over the years

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I (mid 30's) go to Vegas every year at Christmas. We have been so many times that I'm having trouble deciding on a show. Over the years we have seen Segfried (sp?) and Roy, Jubilee, Lord of the Dance, Mystere, O, Wayne Brady and Jerry Seinfeld. Judging from what we've seen so far, does anyone have a recommendation? We always stay at the Mirage, so I've debated seeing LOVE, but I'm not sure I want to see another Cirque show. Any thoughts on Penn and Teller or David Copperfield? Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:34 AM

I am a regular visitor as well. On our latest trip in September we saw the Fab 4 at Aladdin and had a ball. I highly recommend it and it is inexpensive if you take advantage of the 2 for 1's.

On a recent previous trip we saw the Scinta's and loved them as well. How about Mama Mia? Mel Brooks, The Producers is coming to the Paris..not sure of the date.

I did hear good things about LOVE and LeReve and hope to do those on future visits.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Even if you have seen it consider Phantom of the Opera. I saw it two weeks ago (and many times in the past) and it was fabulous. Beautiful theater too.

Also saw Love - it was not my thing, but apparently lots of people like it. Beatle music is always nice tho.

Gordie Brown just opened a new showroom at the Venetian - is a very good impressionist/comedian. I've seen him when he performed at the Golden Nugget in Vegas and now he has a Strip show. He puts on a very enjoyable show.

Have you seen Lance Burton ? He is very good too.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I saw LOVE on Labor Day and thought it was fantastic. I would see it again.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, but the Nevada Ballet Theater is performing The Nutcracker during the holiday season: http://www.nevadaballet.com/performances.html

There's also Ka at the MGM, which is a cirque type show, but everyone who has seen it just loved it.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Penn & Teller are good, for more comedy try The Amazing Jonathan, for more magic, try Lance Burton.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
emd

I haven't seen David Copperfield in Vegas. But I saw him in D.C. two years ago this Dec. and although the tricks were good, he seemed incredibly burned out on performing. He almost seemed irritated that he had to do the show. I really wasn't expecting that. Good tricks, but his extremely blase attitude made the show uncomfortable. Maybe he has taken some time off since then and is back into it now, but we were very disappointed, and actually felt angry that we had paid so much to see him and then got his "I'd rather be anywhere else" attitude.

I'd be interested in the input of those who have seen him in Vegas recently.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Since you always stay at the Mirage, have you seen Danny Gans? He is one of my favorites! I highly recommend him and I am the same age as you guys. I hear Clint Holmes is also good. I loved Mamma Mia, my DH didn't want to go see it as first, but by the end of the show he was loving it!! Lance Burton was pretty good, but I'm not much into magic shows. For a typical Las Vegas style show with the showgirls I recommend Splash, that has always been good. I hear Phantom is getting great reviews, haven't seen it yet myself though.
PS We saw Wayne Brady too about 5-6 years ago at the Monte Carlo, it was hilarious. Don't know if he still pulls someone up on stage or not, but when we went he did and it was me he put up there and at the time I was a bellman and he sang an R & B song about me "carrying his bags of love", very funny show!!
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I have not seen Phantom of the Opera. Also, I wasn't sure if I would want to see another Cirque show after seeing 2 already. I definitely have some things to check into now.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM

I was wondering if you saw Danny Gans also. We saw him last year and he was great! I took my DH for his birthday and I was just along for the ride but I was throughly happy with his choice for the show. You laughed, you cried, you went away feeling you got your money's worth.

I'm just a little ahead of that mid 30's
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Vegasnative, yes, Wayne Brady was hilarious! And he does still pull people up onstage. I was laughing so hard I was crying.
I've thought about Danny Gans, but I've seen the ad of him performing so many times (because I always stay at the Mirage), it just doesn't interest me much.