Help choose SF weekday breakfast with client

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm meeting a client and friend from Philly for an 8am breakfast next Tuesday. He's a go-with-the-flow kinda guy but he has a 10:30 meeting so he‘ll be in a suit.

I thought of the Ferry Building but it'll be too cold at 8. I’d like to take him some place he’ll want to rave about when he goes home. He’s staying at the Hyatt in Union Square and I’m meeting him via BART. Which would you choose? Dottie's True Blue, Sears Fine Foods, Kuleto's, Campton Place, Ritz-Carlton, Scala's Bistro, Mama's at Washington Square or Town's End Restaurant and Bakery? Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Kuleto's would be convenient for both of you.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM

I think it's nearly impossible to beat Mama's at Washington Square, amazing food! Dottie's is good too, but do you really want to stand in a line to eat?
I have never understood the attraction to Sears -- plain and mediocre in my book. When staying at Campton Place, we had breakfast there and all I remember was it seemed a typical hotel breakfast and outrageously priced for what it was -- I'm willing to think the Ritz would be similar.
I love Kuleto's which offers it all -- nice atmosphere and friendly service, plus a pretty unique breakfast menu.

So if you don't want to head over to Washington Square -- I'd just do Kuleto's.

(I don't know Town's End or Scala's, so can't comment.)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Definitely scratch Sears Fine Foods from your list. The owners of Lori's Diner purchased Sears several years ago. Not a change for the better I'm afraid.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Philly area person here.

We stayed just around the corner from Dotties True Blue last November, and ate there 3 times, even though we usually aim for smaller breakfast. We loved it, and it really felt like someplace you wouldn't see everywhere.

On the other hand, the Ferry building is pretty wonderful, too! Don't know what you mean by "too cold"?

~Liz
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't do Dottie's if he has a schedule.

Kuleto's is the most convenient for the two of you. Scala's would work also.

I wouldn't bother with Ritz-Carlton or Campton Place with a schedule to meet.

We ate at Sear's a couple of weeks ago. The food was fine and the atmosphere....well, Sears ....
San Francisco. However, sometimes there is a line there, as well.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help and good thoughts. I'm opting for Kuletos on Tuesday but will surely try Mamas & Dotties when time is more plentiful.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I would go with the Power Breakfast scene at the Ritz Carlton or Silks in the Mandarin.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM

Mama's on Washington Square... Exactly the right SF vibe that he can rave about.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Nobody mentioned Grand Cafe in Monaco, 501 Geary, and don't read their menu if you are hungry
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM

Sorry. Here it is.

http://www.grandcafe-sf.com/
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Hello True, I always have loved the breakfast at Kuleto's but if you decide to go there you might want to check to see how the renovations at the attached Villa Florence Hotel is going. About three weeks the lobby was all boarded off..so the view from Kuleto's is not as pleasant. They could possibly be done with the renovations by now however.

If not, Scala's, attached to the Sir Francis Drake Hotel or the Grand Cafe attached to the Hotel Monaco is where I would take a client for a business breakfast.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Patrick and could never see the big deal about Sears. I don't like wasting my time for something average.

MY
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Oh, that's Scala's. I have eaten there, the name wasn't ringing any bells. I had lunch, not dinner, but it certainly didn't do much for me.

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions. I opted for Scala's as it was close to where he was staying and I had eaten dinner there a while back so I felt pretty sure it would be a safe best. Wrong! The food was fair at best. The service was not to be found. The breakfast as a whole was worse than ordinary and expensive to boot.

We both opted for oatmeal which was served with walnuts and strawberries. Nice touch but the presentation looked like how they serve food at Denny's. The top of the oatmeal was caramelized like Crème Brule only mine was burnt. I had also ordered the fruit side dish and a cereal bowl full of strawberries and cantaloupe was delivered. A lot of fruit but a very bland selection with little to no taste. My friend ordered a raspberry pastry and it looked OK but certainly nothing special. The coffee was nothing great either. When my friend asked for some milk for his oatmeal they brought him a glass of milk rather than a pitcher.

So the point here is that Scala’s may still be a good choice for dinner, but stay far, far away when it comes to breakfast. Thankfully, he’s a great friend and we enjoyed each other’s company no matter how disappointing the breakfast fare.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM

True, your breakfast there sounds like it sort of matched my lunch.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Hi True, sorry your breakfast wasn't that great. Restaurants change over the years. Their top chef of many years opened his own restaurant so obviousy Scala's is no longer the quality restaurant it once was. I hope that Kuleto's retains their great breakfast's but the last critic review from the food critic of the SF Chron didn't sound promising.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM

We LOVE Mama's but you will wait in line if you are not one of the first ones there. Forget Sears. We ate at Kuleto's many years ago and it was great.