Sears for breakfast in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone eaten at Sears near Union Square? It looks like it might be a good place to have breakfast.

Sandy
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM

It is good - last time I was there people were lined up all the way down the block waiting to get in
I thought I heard it was closed - but maybe not?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Hi Sandy,

I work up the street from Sears and eat there every so often. Sunburn is right in that it was closed (in fact it was sold to Lori's Diner) but was reopened with most of the same wait people and approximately the same menu. Albeit a bit more expensive. It is a good place to have their famous breakfast pancakes but if your tastes run to bacon and eggs then my opinion is the lines are too long. However, that is my opinion. Plus, if the line is too long, you can walk a few steps to Saks or Tiffanys or Neimans and buy a lot of things...

Have a great time.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Sunburn & Sausalito,
Thanks to both of you for the information on Sears. I'm sorry to hear it's closed. I had never heard of Lori's Diner, but I see they have several locations in San Francisco. In fact, I found a 25% off coupon on their website, so it might be worth a try, since we'll be staying nearby.

Sandy
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM
MaureenB

We ate breakfast at Sears a few years ago, and honestly thought it way over-rated. Service was horrid-- couldn't get a cup of coffee for the longest time-- and the food was totally unremarkable. I guess it's always been an 'institution', but we thought its reputation was not well-earned. Definitely not worth the wait. Another little place across the street was nicer for simple breakfast-- it's next door to The Hotel Rex (where we stayed and really liked).

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Sandypaws- looks like it was closed - but now reopened so dont give up if thats where you want to go.
I agree it was overrated and service was not great-
When we were there the oldest man in SF was there - guess he was a regular-
so everyone was making a big fuss over him -
I have had much better breakfasts elsewhere.
I like to go over to Sausilito and eat out on the deck of one of the waterfront restaurants .
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Sunburn,
We do plan to go over to Sausalito one day. We'll probably take the ferry there. Any suggestions for lunch there?

Maureen,
Thanks for the recommendation of the other breakfast place. Probably good to have someplace to have breakfast that's not quite so popular for days when we're in a hurry.
Sandy
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM

The place that I used to enjoy in Sauslito is called Horizons - has a large outside deck overlooking the bay.

Its been a long time since I was there(used to be called the Trident when I went) - it seems it has changed hands so no info on the food- just the views
which were spectacular
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Hi sandypaws, a different venue, but if you want a wonderful breakfast (higher prices though) Kuletos has always had fabulous ones evertime I have eaten there. Down the street from Sears. Pass the St. Francis Hotel, cross Geary, half block down on Powell on the right, connected to the Villa Florence Hotel.

I haven't eaten at Sears in years, way before they closed down and sold as I don't like waiting in line to get into a place. Family members have eaten at Sears recently and they were not impressed. And they are not hard to please..so that is all I know about the reopened Sears.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM
MaureenB

Sandy, I hope it's still open! It's been about 5 years. Have fun in S.F.!

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Maureen, if you mean Sears, yes it is absolutely reopened with new owners.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:24 PM
MaureenB

LoveItaly, I don't mean Sears. I mean the little place next door to The Hotel Rex. I've forgotten its name. A tiny place.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM

I had eaten at Sears before it closed/reopened, and it was good, but it couldn't touch Dotty's True Blue Cafe, 522 Jones St. Not a whole lot of room/tables, but great service and truly excellent food.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help! sunbum, thanks for the Sausalito recommendation. I'll make a note of that, as I didn't have any place on my list for Sausalito. LoveItaly, I didn't realize Kuleto's served breakfast. Kuleto's is on my list for dinner the first night! philsbert, I've made a note of Dotty's True Blue Cafe. Love the name Thanks again!

Sandy