Help! Birthdays in New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are coming to NY in May for the first time, from the UK. We both have our birthdays whilst we are visiting (mine Monday May 2 and his Wed May 4). Can anyone offer advice on great places to go for a birthday? during the day and also special places to eat on the evening and some nice bars. We are both mid 20s, will eat anything but fish, we like the sort of bars you can relax in, but after a few drinks I think I can persuade him into a little dancing! Being a first timer I really need the advice!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:53 AM

The key question: How much to you want to spend for meals?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Bruno Jemais on 81st between Madison & Fifth Avenues. Very good food, cozy atmosphere, and after 10:30, they crank up the music and everyone dances in between the tables.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Fez is a fun bar on the lower level of the Time Cafe in the Village.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:19 AM

I should add that, by a quirk of NY law, many of the bars in NYC don't allow dancing. That's because you must have a cabaret license to allow dancing. So, there are dance clubs and then there are bars. I would say that if you want a bar to "relax in," that's not a dance club.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:36 AM

In terms of some fun places for drinks, I really like the FlatIron Lounge on West 19th between 5th and 6th. Definately more of a lounge than a pub.

The Cub Room on Sullivan Street near Prince in Greenwich Village has been a good spot for drinks for about 10 years.

Some of the more interesting places for food might be: Il Buco at 47 Bond Street, Chez Es Saada on First Avenue at First Street, Rosa Mexicana just across from Lincoln Center, Zarela for Mexican on 2nd and 51st, and DavidBurke & Donatella on 61st and Park. The latter might be a good place to celebrate a birthday.

I should mention, all of the places I mentioned probably wouldn't be the best spots if you're on a budget.

As mentioned, dancing in NY isn't as easy as one would think. There are several nightclub type places but for that you'd need advice from someone who isn't in their late 30 with 2 toddlers.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice. we are not on a budget, at least not for our birthdays anyway - you gotta treat yourself haven't you? as for the dancing, it was just an afterthought really! i just want to make it a couple of birthdays to remember!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Just read in the NYTimes that Fez will be closing in March.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:15 AM

There is a really fun and different spot in the East Village called Le Souk - it's got funky music, a loungy atmosphere and they serve dinner before it turns into a dance spot later at night. It's got an Egyptian type theme to it with belly dancers and houka's (spelling??). Anyway, it's a fun place and I just went there for a friends birthday. You also don't have to stay there all night. After, we went to a place called Orchid Lounge not too far away - cool lounge, but not so trendy that you have to get all decked out. They have a "gong" behind the bar and when they hit it everyone in the place gets a free shot. There are a bunch of other cool places in the area as well to eat and drink.

Another area I like is the West Village. They have some really cute/quaint restaurants - August, Chez Michallet, Extra Virgin, etc. - you can hit one of those for dinner and then head up to either the Meatpacking District (a very short cab ride or walk away) and hit some of the trendy lounge places like APT, Lotus, Trust, or One - all are very fun and very cool. Or, if you want, you can head downtown after dinner to Soho. Lots of fun places there as well...

One other option is the Lower East Side. Can't recommend a dinner option down there - I've been to a few places but none are too noteable. However, there are a ton of fun bars down there and you can bounce around to a bunch that are within close walking distance to one another - Slipper Room, Baramundi, Pink Pony, etc. They are all in the same area so you can just wander around and see which you're in the mood for.

Have fun!! NY is a great place to celebrate a b-day!!