Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help! Am Overwhelmed with NYC Restaurant Choices!

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to NYC for work and to see a couple of shows this Friday. We will see "In the Heights" on Friday evening and "39 Steps" for Saturday matinee. Any suggestions for budget-moderate place to eat for Friday dinner and Saturday lunch or brunch? Last year, took my mom to Etcetra, Etcetra but they only have 5:30 pm and 6:45 pm seating on Open Table at this time. Trattoria Trecolori and Dervish also looked like possibilities. But, then found out that the OpenTable.com Appetite Stimulus Plan goes through this Friday ($35 dinners, $24 lunches) so am wondering whether I should expand my horizons. Lots of restaurants listed: http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?...f=4681&pid=329

Can you help us narrow down our choices? I really want to make reservations in advance given that it will be cold and we already have the theater tickets. We are booked at the Courtyard New York
Manhattan/Marriott, at 410 East 92nd Street.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
mp

The only place on the appetite stimulus list in the theatre district I'd recommend would be Thalia, which seemed to have tables around the times you wanted. Others here recommend Vice Versa, but I've never been.

But if you really want those other restaurants, instead of going thru Open Table, why don't you just call the restaurants? Lots of places set aside just a few tables for Open Table reservations, not the whole restaurant. If you want to stick with OT, and that promo, looking near the theatre district, I see Molyvos, Artisanal, Brasserie, Naples 45, which are all pretty good.

Other reasonable places you might like in the theatre district neighborhood are Marseille, Puttanesca, Roberto Passon, Pietrasanta, Utsav, Virgils BBQ, and West Bank Cafe. Good Luck
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt reply. Should we be considering places to eat away from the theater district? Any on the list that you think are worthwhile?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:14 AM
mp

As I said, " If you want to stick with OT, and that promo, looking near the theatre district, I see Molyvos, Artisanal, Brasserie, Naples 45, which are all pretty good."
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Bookmarking
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM

mp mkes good suggestions. My Greek friends always seem to favor to Molyvos. I love Indian food and UtSav has a great lunch buffet.

Enjoyed Artisanal and Brasserie too.

Can't go wrong with any of those picks. Pick your cuisine and the restaurant should choose itself.