Reload this Page >

Helicopter Tour - Maui or Oahu?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Lenore

Hi again! We are thinking about spending the big bucks and doing a helicopter tour while in Hawaii. Which is better, Maui or Oahu? If you have a specific tour to recommend....even better! Thanks.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 03:53 PM
kaye

I would choose Maui over Oahu, but if you have the opportunity, I would choose Kauai above all. We have done the Papillion tour on Kauai; lush green valleys filled with waterfalls, the "Grand Canyon" of the Pacific, the Napali cliffs over the ocean, etc. I believe several movies such as Jurassic Park, etc. have been filmed in Kauai's valleys. (Also, if you're interested, you could do a tour on the Big Island if you're more into volcanos & lava fields.)

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:37 AM
loco moco

I agree with Kaye...I would choose Kauai over Oahu and/or Maui. Helicopter tours over O'ahu are not that popular. Very rarely do I see them hovering around the island. As far as the Big Island is concerned, I would take it only to see the volcanic fireworks at night. Currently, I don't think much is happening.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:33 AM
sss

check the accident record of whatever company you use. I lived on Oahu for 3 years I remember the media constantly talking about efforts to make helicopter tours illegal because of the number of deaths each year. I have one friend on Oahu, born and raised and she won't set foot in one because of all the bad press they get.

P.S she does get on a helicopter to go to her fathers summer home which is only reachable by long hike or air.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:35 AM
sss

I should not have said deaths each year I don't know the number and I don't think it takes place each year. It was frequently in the media 93-97 though

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Lenore

I've read that Kauai is the island to see via helicopter, but we aren't going there this trip. Is there an air tour of Kauai from Oahu, since that's the closest island? If not your advice is to do Maui, right? Thanks everyone!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Joanne

Lenore: The only "splurge" we made for a helicopter ride was on Maui and it was enjoyable. We flew with Sunshine Helicopters (The "Black Beauties"). Had a choice of several routes and we went with the one over Haleakala and Hana. Particularly enjoyed seeing the Seven Sacred Pools from the air. The waterfalls were spectacular too.

The pilot did a commentary and a video was done of our trip (not included--extra charge).

We enjoyed it, would probably not do it again, but what the heck--you only live once.

j

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:04 PM
TTT

TTT