Hearst Castle after Christmas

Oct 5th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Hearst Castle after Christmas

We would like to stay 2 nights in this area. But where? Cambria or San Simeon? Any good lodging experience/recommendation to share?
Does anybody know of any place which has $100 or below per night which is good and clean? Thanks.
Oct 6th, 2003, 01:54 AM

Cambria is a charming little village, while San Simeon is just a few hotels on the highway. So, I'd suggest Cambria. There are some great places on Moonstone Beach. You can find a listing of Cambria hotels on their Chamber of Commerce website
Oct 6th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Morro Bay is another alternative. I think you would have better luck finding lodging in your budget their than in Cambria. Morro Bay has several budget motels within a few blocks of the waterfront.
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thks Babette, no wonder the lodging rate disparity btw SS and C. Did check out on the Moonstone Beach but way out of our budget.

J Correa, thks for pointing out Morro Bay, do you know or heard any good ones over this area?
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Yahoo travel has several places listed under $100/night. A few years ago we stayed at the Ascot Inn, which was fine. It was a basic place - clean with reasonably comfortable beds and nice people.
Oct 6th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Have been checking on tripadvisor.com and there is an instant price check from 4 sources (orbitz, travelocity, etc). Will head over and try Yahoo Travel too. Thks.
Oct 6th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Thks BonneeJ for that website. Since we're going in a peak season, the rates in Cambria are all on the high side. I'm trying to look for some place that is around $100 per night which has not been an easy task. I'll try to call up Cambria Palms Motel (found in that website that you have given) tomorrow. Has anybody stay in that place?

If we really have no choice but stay at Morro Bay, how's the driving condition along Highway 1 at night, travelling from Cambria back to Morro Bay? Is the road windy?
Oct 7th, 2003, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Babette, have you stayed at any motels at San Simeon?
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM

That part of Hwy 1 is not windy. It's the area north through Big Sur that is the twisty part. You shouldn't have any problems driving from Cambria to Morro Bay at night. It's about 20 miles.
Oct 7th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

J_Correa, thks for the info, it's good to know if we ever drive up there in future.

Found out that Cambria Palm Motel is within our budget. Has anybody stay there? Appreciate your comments.
Oct 7th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Bonnee, how did you manage to shift your 7th reply in this post to be the tenth?

I've already checked out the website that you've recommended and that's where I come across Cambria Palm Motel.

Search this Thread