Search

Hawaiian breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:38 AM
linda

Hawaiian breakfast

just a quick question,
what does a traditional Hawaiian breakfast consist of and what does taro look and taste like.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Hawaii Lover

Not sure about the "traditional Hawaiian breakfast" but I can tell you that taro tastes like cardboard (not that I regularly eat cardboard!) One taste of it and you'll go, "Ok, NOW I've tasted taro...been there, done that, and no need to do it again!"

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
May

I actually like taro. Its texture is like a potato. Depending on how you cook it, it can be really good. Sometimes people fry it (called tempura) and the inside will be moist and outside would be crispy. Sometimes they boil it in soup and it would be mostly moist all around. Some taros have a powdery texture when you bite into it. It all depends on how you cook it and how long you cook it for. Give it a try!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Patty

Taro is delicious. Yes, it is similar in texture to a potato and is slightly sweet in taste (when you don't add other ingredients). Now poi (the slightly fermented purplish, grayish paste made from taro) I don't care for personally, but that is only one of the many ways you can cook taro. You might start with taro chips (similar to potato chips) which are found in most convenience/grocery stores.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:11 AM
lani

i LOVE taro, too. i've had it in chunks which is indeed like a purple potato, tho a bit richer in texture. i also love poi, and i still am known to sneak some sugar into it and eat it as a dessert although this is rather frowned upon by the locals. if you don't want to incur the wrath of some locals, try kulolo, which is a sweetmeat made from poi, water and sugar.

not quite sure about a 'traditional' breakfast other than the local fruit, but a 'local-cooked' breakfast is delicious and might hurt your arteries. a favorite is 'portuguese sausage (spicy) rice and eggs,' and a 'loco moco' which is generally a bowl of rice, a hamburger patty on top, some brown gravy poured over and topped with an egg (your choice of preparation). there are some variations, like at sam choy's place. the PS,R&E are so popular most fast food places sell it.

hope this helps some!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Patty

lani,

That's interesting cause in Tahiti they have a dessert that is made from taro and has a consistency similar to poi. Maybe if I put some sugar in poi, I'll like it. Oh, and how could I have forgotten to mention the loco moco at Sam Choy's - they are great! Bring a big appetite or split one.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Melissa

hmm, I'm a lifelong resident of Hawaii and to be honest, my breakfast consists of cereal & milk or pancakes! Maybe an omelette. ha ha!

If you are interested in poi & poi products, as well as the nutritional value, go to www.thepoicompany.com and tell them Melissa sent you.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:17 PM
kal

SPAM!
Ha...At Kiahuna Joe's they have a Joe's omlette where they use taro leaves instead of spinach. Very good.

The taro chips are killer.

Loco Mocos rule! A Good "stick to yer Ribs" breakfast. Especially with a little Port. Sausage ground up in the gravy! I just put on 3#s thinking about it!

Nothing seems to be "typical" anywhere anymore!
I think there is a diet book out there called the Hawaiian Diet??? Try Amazon.com?
Kal

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Betsy

I knew there'd be a response from you on this thread, Kal!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:41 AM
lani

patty, a poi dessert in tahiti? i'll have to look that up, and tell my folks about it next time they look disgusted when i eat my poi with sugar. thanks for the tip. hope you like poi next time.

kal, i can't believe i forgot the spam!! i even have 2 tins of it here at home in london (thank goodness the local supermarket sells it, even tho i am the only one i know who eats it). spam, rice and eggs with tabasco...yum, i think i'll have that or a spam sandwich tonight. btw, i forgot to thank you for your reply on an earlier post about when i had my cold. thanks for asking, it took 2 weeks to get rid of! i miss the warm weather.

melissa, i normally have cereal, fruit or that instant oatmeal stuff for breakfast too, but on the weekends can't beat a good fried breakfast, especially if my mom is making it!

linda, don't try that poi in a jar...my family sent me one and it was gross. MUST have the fresh or 1-day-old kind, if you buy it from a store yourself.

is ono's hawaiian food in kapahulu still open? maybe they have a version of a 'traditional' hawaiian breakfast (tho for lunch/dinner)?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM
linda

SPAM SPAM SPAM,
spam is not too popular in the UK anymore.
i read on a website that Hawaii is the worlds greatest consumer of spam is this true?
i am sure that in the seventies the largest consumer would have been our household,my mum was the spam queen.
I LOVE SPAM.
spam fritters are the best.
not sure about loco moco but i will try anything once.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:47 AM
sss

My favorite breakfast in Hawaii is pancakes with coconut syrup, Portuguese sausages on the side also have had a side of taro hash browns but on other island.

Eggsnthings in Waikiki is great, love a one time breakfast on the beach at the Royal Hawaiian. Really want to get decadent head on out to the Kahala Mandarin. Use to be about 35 dollars a pop for brunch but it was the best brunch buffet I have ever scene, Halekulani is also known to have a comparable brunch. Tradditional? I think pigging out is universal. These are two places to do it in style!!!

For local entrée check out your grocers freezer for “ONO” products, they do a chicken laulau (tea leaves wrapped around taro leaves (spinach like but better than), chicken, fish and pork fat that I have eaten for breakfast but this is not for most people in the morning. Side it with some lomi salmon!!!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:49 AM
sss

for more traditional local breakfast tastes remember Leonards malasadas (anybody with the Honolulu address for Linda?) a moist puffed donut of sorts, YUM!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Kal

Betsy-Ha! 2 of my favorite subjects: Food and Kauai! You bet I'm gonna be there! ;^D
Throw in "Golf while Eating on Kauai" and I can't work all day!
Now, maybe if I can build a "Moxie's" on Kauai, I can retire there?

lani-"Poi in a jar" OHMYGAWD! You gotta be kiddin'?!?! Right up there w/ "potted meat and taters".

It also seems like every place on Kauai serves Eggs Benedict. Even the little holes in the wall. And they usually have some great homemade corned beef hash! Oki Diner leaps to mind.

Speaking of odd food on K, oyster jerky! Never seen it on the mainland but it was in all the Whaler stores.
Yummie!...and chewy!

A Pacific Cafe's Jean-Marie J opened a smaller cafe in "Downtown Lihue" a few years ago and it probably had the best Loco Moco on the island. Wasn't good enuff as it went out of business 2yrs ago.

We went on a "fish taco" frenzy last trip.
254 mo' days.
Kal

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:24 AM
linda

are masaladas portugese?
i dadted a portugese guy for 4 years and came to love portugese cuisine(hey i love all cuisine!!)
is there a strong portugese influence on the islands?
thinking of booking a night at the kahala mandarin (it will be our wedding anniversary whilst we are over) might check out the buffet then.
buffets are always fun for foriegners you always come across something you have never tried before.
grits were a big surprise ,they taste like they sound ! also discovered american gravy YUM YUM gravy in the UK is dark brown .how do you guys make gravy?
sorry this is a travel forum not a cookery one, might get bashed by the purists.
linda

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Susan

Yes, Linda, malasadas are Portuguese! There is a very strong Portuguese influence in the islands, perhaps someone else knows the reason behind that. The best malasadas we had were in Kailua on the windward side of Oahu at Agnes' Portuguese Bake Shop.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:26 AM
sss

I know the Portuguese worked sort of as overseerers on the plantations (managed employee production)not sure if this is why they came to Hawaii.

Thought of another video rental, which is a great movie. No doubt this has been converted and is available in your video store,"The Picture Bride". Several cultural organizations in Hawaii and Japan helped make this film shows how some 10,000 Japanese brides came to the islands. Local beliefs from the time are also intertwined love this film.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Melissa

Lani-----yes....any meal tastes better when someone else makes it! ;-)

As for Malasadas....someone at my office JUST bought some from a place called Champion Malasadas, a little hole in the wall at 1926 Beretania Street. It's run by a Chinese guy from Macau, who learned to do malasadas the Portuguese way (since Macau was a Portuguese colony, yes?). I'll be damned if that wasn't the best malasada I've EVER had!! You gotta eat it fresh for best results.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Wiki-Wiki

May.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of days, Tempura is a method of cooking anything in a special light batter in oil. I have never heard it mentioned specifically with Taro.

Wiki-Wiki

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:09 PM
cd

I'm sure it's not "traditional Hawaiian cooking", just someones good idea, but when we were in Hawaii we had macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup. They were the best! Don't even want to think fats and calories!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -