Reload this Page >

Hawaii - your ideal 2-3 week itinerary for September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
GerdaFaust

We are planning to visit Hawaii for 2-3 weeks in September, on our way to Asia and Australia. We are in our mid-to-late 40s, active (but not excessively so). We enjoy moderate hiking (4-7 miles), snorkeling from the beach, and relaxed, uncluttered sightseeing.

We would stay in Honolulu for a night or two each at the beginning and end of the trip. The body of the trip would be largely the Big Island and Kauai.

In addition to your tips on the most efficient and relaxed itinerary, I would greatly appreciate recommendations for:

1. Absolute best snorkeling sites, or good snorkeling tour operators for day trips.

2. Best hikes on each of the islands.

3. Moderately-priced lodgings.

Thanks!

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
GerdaFaust

ttt

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
GerdaFaust

Thanks very much for the info on Oahu, etc.

Any other info on Kauai or the Big Island? Nice hotels and/or B&Bs?

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I haven't been to Kauai, but to the BI. I stayed at Kona Village Resort, which might be out of your price range. But, I hear the Hapuna Prince is quite nice with an excellent beach. On the BI, there is excellent snorkelling next to the Place of Refuge. As for hiking, check out Hawaii Forest and Trail-- www.hawaii-forest.com
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:26 AM
GerdaFaust

We usually stay at very high-end places, but we hope to mix those with some that are more moderate.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Hi, GerdaFaust! My husband and I have been to Hawaii 4x, and it's one of our favorite places on earth. We're in our mid-forties and seem to enjoy a lot of the same things that you and your husbhand do. Our last trip was in Oct/Nov 2006 (if you click on my screen name, you can eventually find my trip report on that trip). With that in mind, here's my ideal trip for 2-3 weeks in Hawaii in September:

Fly into Honolulu. Stay 3 nights.

Fly to Kauai. Stay in Poipu area (we love the Hyatt there) for 6 nights.

Some of the activities we love in Kauai:

Snorkeling with Cap'n Andy.

Waimea Canyon (there is a great hike at the end of the canyon road; park at the end of the road and walk a mile or two -- awesome views!

Ke'e Beach, and the Kahalua (sp?) trail there. If you go there, get there early. We hiked for a couple of hours and then returned the car for our snorkeling equipment. The parking lot fills up early there.

Helicopter ride (although after hearing so many safety issues I don't think I would do it again).

THEN, fly to Kona (Big Island). Stay at Hale Hualalai B&B near Kona for 3 nights (check out reviews on tripadvisor.com) We loved our stay here. From that location it's easy to do boat trips, see the sights near Kona.

THEN, drive to Volcano area via southern route. Stay at Kilauea Lodge for 2 nights. Explore VNP (including Chain of Craters Road, Thurston Lava Tube).

THEN drive to Kohala Coast area via northern route, stopping at waterfalls, sites, Waimea Valley, Hawi along the way. We stayed at the Fairmont Orchid for 5 nights (had 5th night free). It was a great place to stay for our final 5 nights. There is snorkeling right in front of the hotel (with lots and lots of sea turtles).

I would get a copy of the "Kauai Revealed" and "Big Island Revealed" books. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I've gotten lots of good information from them, and the books are enjoyable to read. The complaint about them is that the authors don't tell about the dangers of particular activities they recommend, but I think you always need to be cautious with anything you do near/in the ocean, so take all recommendations with a grain of salt.

THEN, fly back to Honolulu for 2 nights.

That's 21 nights total, and I think that would be an incredible vacation.

Last year we stayed on the Big Island for 10 nights, and we could have stayed longer. The Big Island and Kauai are our favorite islands. We love Oahu and Maui, too, but we like the fact that the Big Island and Kauai are less crowded.

I hope you have a wonderful time! If I can help you with any more questions, please let me know.

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
GerdaFaust

Samsaf, you are amazing! We are clearly on the same wavelength... your proposed itinerary sounds perfect, and if we decide on 2 weeks rather than 3, it appears to accomodate that. Thank you so much!

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM

In September the north shore of Kaua'i is gorgeous. I'd spend a week there in Hanalei. You will be within walking distance or a short drive away from some amazing beaches and snorkeling as well as some wonderful hiking.

If you can handle staying in a rental house and have the $$, there would be nothing more amazing than renting something like this right on Hanalei Bay. There are many choices.

http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...s&Avail=&Stay=

I've been to Kaua'i four times now and the north shore is where I prefer to hang my hat.

My favorite hike in Waimea Canyon is the Pihea Trail that skirts the edge of the Kalalau Valley. Amazing views before 11 am and after 2 pm when the clouds are less likely to obscure the view.

Favorite snorkel place currents permitting is Makua (Tunnels) Beach.

Favorite garden is Limahuli. All native Hawaiian plantings in an amazing location.

Favorite place for an interesing meal is Postcards in Hanalei. Order whatever is the special that evening and you won't be disappointed.

Favorite meal on the south shore was had at Casa di Amici in Poipu. Very interesting Italian hybrid menu. The owner zips around the room pouring water and shmoozing the customers. Nice place.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
GerdaFaust

Thanks. Any other recommendations for hotels or small condos on the north shore? Any tips for knowing where the nicest places are?

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 01:29 PM
GerdaFaust

... of Kauai, that is!

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM

North shore condos:

Hanalei Colony Resort

Pali Ke Kua

Puu Poa

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One small tweak Id suggest:
I wouldn't stay at Waikiki twice (beginning and end)... simply to minimize checking in & out of hotels. If you need to fly into Honolulu, why not proceed directly on to either Kauai or BI... or do this on the return trip. It would be especially important imo if you only take 2 weeks instead of 3.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:08 AM
GerdaFaust

Thanks, suze. That makes a lot of sense.

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Some suggestions for accommodations on north shore Kaua`i (where I live).

High-end condo? Pu`u Poa
High-end hotel? Princeville

But we have lots of other condos, and one more hotel (which also is a timeshare facility). This map will allow you to "click and view" all the various hotels and condos on the island:
http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauaerials.html

Princeville is an oceanview bluff-top planned community -- a mix of houses, condos, and timeshares -- with a large (for Kaua`i) shopping center of assorted retailers (including Foodland, for groceries) and dining spots.