Hawaii 20 year anniversary trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! We are in the VERY beginning stages of planning our 20 year anniversary trip. (It is two years away)

We love Hawaii, spent our honeymoon there (Maui) and have been back around 5 times in the last 18 years...(wish it was more!)

I call it my happy place... I always feel the most relaxed and refreshed and never feel ready to come home!

We have 9 days including travel (we are flying from west coast (LAX or SNA)

We are thinking of dividing the time on two islands (I know that puts a little damper on things) but he has always wanted to stay at the Grand Wailea - I see it as a bit over priced and too large and $$$$.

We love Kauai - so thinking first 4 nights @ Grand Wailea and then 4 nights on Kauai - but not sure what hotel ? What are your favorites? We have only stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort (with business) it was really lovely but not crazy about the beach area..

Or we could stay at another property on Maui ....

Favorite hotels and why?
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:09 AM

BI - someplace new for you.
Many great hotels in Hapuna Beach area or Waikoloa area.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:23 AM

grand hyatt on kauai is very nice and so is the st regis at north shore..have spent anniversaries at both
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Deb - I have heard that the big island is not as "lush" and we are such Kauai fans that I have a hard time going to an Island that does not have the lushness we enjoy in Hawaii (I could be wrong).

Thanks Ton - I will look at those two!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unless you had more time, say two weeks, I would not split it 4/4. Not enough time for each place considering travel days taking a bite out of your time there. Pick one place and relax.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you should stick with Maui & Kauai, or just Maui and find a second more laid-back hotel on another part of the island. Sorry I'm no expert on better hotels to make a specific suggestion but I adore Hawaii.

Happy Anniversary and happy planning!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Dawn- we JUST returned from the Big Island (having been to Maui, Kuaia, and Oahu and BI is now our favorite (kauia being second). if you visit the Hilo side of the BI it is basically jungle and very very green! We stayed there 5 nights in a bungalow in Honomu (just north of Hilo) and loved it - would definitely return. Then we moved over to Kohala Coast for the 1/2 Ironman and stayed at the Fairmont Orchid. Enjoyed it too -- small private beach area, good food, great ambiance. On the Kohala Coast I'm not aware of anything other than hotels to stay in, but there may be.

While on the west side of the island we went on a night manta ray snorkel with Coral Reef Adventures and would highly recommend doing it. Amazing acrobatics from the rays within touching distance of us!!

Also take a helicopter ride over the active volcano! Awesome sights (we used Blue Hawaiin Helicopters very near Fairmont Orchid entrance)

I can give you more info if interested
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Suze I think you are right... sticking with Maui but moving hotels. I am not really into the Grand Wailea nor is within budget for 8 nights... (not my cup of tea)... I prefer smaller properties/laid back...
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Jill we were posting at the same time - wow - that sounds great! I don't know why I have heard/read not as "lush" :-? So glad you had a great time!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:31 AM

If you change your mind about Kauai, the Grand Hyatt is terrific. Not sure what you didn't like about the beach at Marriott, very calm. Some people don't care for the fact that it is not on an open ocean.
FYI, a former boss stayed at Grand Wailea for his honeymoon, just certain times of the year it is a kid magnet due to their over the top swimming pools.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

oh Jamie - that is good insight (on the grand wailea) It is in Oct. so should not be too busy with the kids...

As far as the beach at the Marriott in Kauai - it just was not very pretty/Hawaii in my opinion. We did not really like the beach (or lack of) at the Marriott where we stayed for our honeymoon many years ago in Maui - we like the one in Oahu (the ko olina marriott) ...

lots of time to dream and research!
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Dawn - MANY people believe you should not stay on the "hilo" side of the island because it's the "wet" side - therefore it must rain all the time. We didn't encounter rain except one day and it was off and on. Did rain at night and lightly misted a couple of times during one day; Kona being the "dry" side, it rarely gets rain and the landscape shows it. Two very distinct environments on one island.

This was our first time and loved it. Hilo town, not so much, a couple of good restaurants we found, but the town itself, meh. Many things to see/do and it's much closer to the volcano that Kona / Kohala Coast.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 01:40 PM

Dawn, I am one who agrees that the Big Island is interesting but not "my" idea of lush Hawaii. I've been there twice, and that is enough for me. I love Oahu; so much to do and so beautiful to drive around it as well as over the mountains.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

I love Oahu too - we have been there 3 times and I really enjoy the variety there!

The upside is we have 2 years to figure it out..the downside it is two years away... ;-)
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM

We did not really like the beach (or lack of) at the Marriott where we stayed for our honeymoon many years ago in Maui

Which beach or Marriott property was that?

The water in front of the Grand Hyatt Kauai can be rough.

You could ferry over to Lanai. Manele Bay is a nice beach.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I fell in love with Maui, would love to go back and do some snorkelling, swimming etc.

Liked Oahu and Big Island too, but Maui has the most gorgeous beaches.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 08:19 AM

This is nine nights in October? ONE island will be good, although you could split time ON that island -- or even between Maui and Lanai if the 4S on Lanai is in your budget. (Always go from 'nice' to 'nicer' -- not the reverse!) In October the ocean will have turned from calmer north to calmer south.

If beachtime is important, remember that Big Island's beaches are in the Kohala Coast area (NW). The volcano is SE. I'd only choose Big Island if you plan to sightsee (and drive) a lot.

Northern Kauai is gorgeous. Not great snorkeling and fewer choices for lodging. (I don't care for the non-Hawaiian-feeling hotel at Princeville.)

Oahu is a good choice. You could stay Waikiki and a couple of nights at Turtle Bay for a completely different feeling. (Beautiful location; hotel OK; food choices limited.)

Surprise! We are back to Maui! It has wide choices for lodgings, easy-access beaches with good snorkeling, scenic beauty, restaurants...pretty much everything. Road to Hana is even a touch of heavily tropical Kauai.

Might you do what some honeymooners do? Rent a nice condo for a week, then finish up at a luxury hotel?
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Patty - the one on Ka'anapali beach - I just had a friend stay at the Hyatt there and she said the beach was great..so maybe our memories are faulty.

ChiSue - thank you ! Sounds like we may stay on Maui...we were there for 2 weeks on our honeymoon and it was lovely. We even stayed the night up at what was then I believe the Hana hotel.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

oh and Nelosain thank you
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Oahu, and traveling solo is where I always go. Because I like being in the city with all the options of things to see and do. But Maui (or Kauai) to me seems "more Hawaiian" and "romantic".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -