Reload this Page >

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Marcia

I'm planning a first time trip to the Big Island. Is it feasible to have a base in the Kohala Coast area and drive to VNP and back the same day by traveling Highway 19 through Hilo? I've read some posts, and one said it was a 2 1/2 hour drive each way and another said it took all day. We don't have a whole lot of time unfortunately, and after reading several reports of how beautiful the Waipio Valley is, now I've added that area to our itinerary. We're flying into Kona Int'l. and will have about 4 days on the Big Island before heading to Maui. Thanks for any input.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 01:33 PM
anne

My recollection is it was about a 3 hour drive from Volcanoes to Kohala and something similar from Kohala to Waipio. It would probably be easier to move one night and do a circle drive around the Big Island that allows you to do both Volcanoes and Waipio without having to backtrack to Kohala each night. I didn't stop for long at Waipio but found Volcanoes fascinating and spent a couple of days there.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Kelly

Marcia,

It's doable, but tough. First of all, you're only about 1 hour to Waipio Valley from Kohala. So if you want to pick one major sightseeing activity while based in Kohala it would be that one. Kohala is a fine base for enjoying the northern coast.

If you really want to enjoy the Volcano (which I highly recommend) you should stay over at least one night. It, obviously, depends on what types of activities you enjoy, but Volcanoes Nat'l Park is incredibly unique.

If you really prefer simply hanging by a great beach, stay in the Kohala area for the four days. They have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world (Hapuna & Mauna Kea). If you want to save most of your beach/snorkel time for Maui and take advantage of the BI's uniqueness, then I would split your stay between Kohala and the Volcano area. It's all preference.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Paul

It's doable - I did it. But it's an all-day affair. From Kohala, figure on 2.5 - 3 hrs drive each way, plus the time you're actually at the VNP, and it all adds up to the whole day.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Cyril

VNP unique? Not if you've been to Oregon or Washington. The visitor's center at Mt St Helen's is much better. VNP is lots of hot, black rock. And the people in Hawaii are SOOOOO rude!!!

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 08:09 AM

Cyril:
You probably were rude to people first to get that kind reaction back from people. I have never met a rude person in Hawaii and I've been there 5 times and visisted every single island. Hawaii natives and locals are most easy-going and laid-back people I've known (and I travel all over the world).

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Rude

Dont let Cyril's bad trip ruin yours.
I have traveled from Boston to Hawaii and was warned that Bostonians are rude. Well, I didnt encounter that. It just depends on your attitude. You get what you give. The locals may not offer their help, but if asked they will go out of their way to help a lost tourist.
VNP is worth the drive. Stay one night at the Kilauea Lodge which over looks one of the craters.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Marcia

Thanks to all of you who took time to respond. I think we'll spend the first part of our trip on the Kohala Coast, then drive to VNP and fly out of Hilo to Maui.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Kelly

Marcia,

Flying into Kona and out of Hilo is a great idea. You'll really have a better opportunity to enjoy the Volcano area that way. Kilauea Lodge doesn't overlook the crater, however. I believe that one is called Volcano House and it is pretty basic/Nat'l Park type lodging.

Kilauea Lodge is just down the road a couple of miles from the entrance to VNP. It is a great place to stay and eat. They have a website (www.kilauealodge.com) if you're interested.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Cyril

Excuse me, but I treat people with respect, but don't always receive it in return. I'm an interpreter, and have travelled all over the globe for the last 27 years. The rudest people I've ever met were whites in Hawaii. No, I wasn't rude to them, those who've moved there from the mainland seem to have a very bad attitude problem. By contrast, People I worked with in Boston were so very kind and helpful, I've taken my family there on vacation twice. Even the French have shown better manners and attitude than in Hawaii. "Cast not aspersions..."

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Sarah

Anyone who had a poor experience at the Volcano did not see at night. A MUST TO VIEW VOLCANO AT NIGHT!!! Stay at the Volcano House to be closest too much driving outside the park,

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Jeanette

Sarah, what can you really see at night? Can you get close enough to see the orange lava flow? This would be the thing I would like to see most! Or are there any guided night walks to the lava flow? (Arnott's lodge advised me that their walk would be during daytime).