Subway as sightseeing vehicle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Callie

Hi,

I'm a first time vistor to New York. I'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza Manhattan which has 2 subway stops nearby: N/R @ 49th Street and 1/9 at 50th Street.

I'm traveling by myself and want to see the usual sights: Statue of Liberty, Empire State, The Met Museum, The Guggenheim, etc. Is it reasonable for me to think I could see these sights using the subway instead of a "hop on hop off" tour bus?

How hard/easy is the subway system to navigate. I visted DC last year and got great advice here re: the Metro. In DC I got to all the sights using the Metro. Can I expect the same in NYC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Callie

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Barbara

I am not a subway expert by any means, but we always use the subway in NYC. We simply tell the Concierge in our hotel where we want to go and he always tells us exactly which routes to take and how to get back. I'm sure the Concierge, bellboy, or desk clerk in your hotel will do the same. I admit we don't do a lot of improvising, but from time to time we have had to and have always found New Yorkers very friendly and willing to help us out.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:35 AM
cheri

I recommend the subway rather than tour bus. If you study the maps and lines it is very easy. Get the map first then ask the concierge to help you. It will be much quicker, less expensive and more flexible. One caveat, be prepared for a diverse and interesting crowd. You'll probably see some crazy folk on the subway but they are usually harmless! My husband rides it from Grand Central to downtown every day and usually describes an interesting character at least a couple of times a week!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:04 PM
KR

Callie:

I just back from NY, and I have also been to DC. The Metro in DC was very easy, safe and clean. The subway in NY wasn't totally bad, but I wouldn't want to be on it at night. I would use it early in the morning to see the Statue of Liberty, say around 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. Take the N/R until Whitehall St. From there, go to Battery Park/Castle Clinton for tickets. As for the Met, a cab would cost around $7. Go see the Jacqueline Kennedy dresses; it was great. Get there early, like around 9:30 a.m. to avoid a long wait in line. I really loved my trip. It was my first time in New York, and I'm planning on going again. Also, try to see a musical; Kiss Me Kate and Full Monty were great! Enjoy!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:33 PM
H

Callie,
IMO taking the subway is the easiest and most cost effective way to travel around the city.
It costs $1.50 for a single fare but i would recommend purchasing a $4 1 day fun pass for unlimited use of the subway. Contrary to what others have said about the validity of the pass, it is good from the FIRST time its used till 3am the next morning.
There is also a 7 day unlimited ride card for $17.
The subway is easy to navigate, don't be put off by stereo typical potrayals.

Have fun in NYC!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Callie

Thanks so much for the helpful info. I'm going to wing it and try to see New York like a native.

I'm going to meet for one of the Big Onion walking tours. The weekend I'm in NYC they will do a walking tour of Chinatown. Should be very interesting.

Again, thank you.

Callie