Search

Hawaii Trip in May

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Trip in May

My husband, 12 year old daughter, and I are traveling to Hawaii from the East Coast in May 2016. We have been to Hawaii before traveling to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. The trip in May we do plan on staying at Kauai for a few days and would also like to go to another island -- either Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii. We are looking at 12 days total including travel to/from east coast. Looking for recommendations on if Maui or Hawaii would be a good choice considering the time of year and the length of our time.

We loved Maui and are not opposed to going back, but thought maybe Hawaii might be an interesting place since we haven't yet been there. I understand Hawaii is a large island as big as some states, so we are not sure how much time is needed to really see the island.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Of the four main Hawaiian islands, Kauai and the Big Island are my favorites, and IMO represent the best of Hawaii. Kauai is the most scenic above the water, and Big Island the most scenic under it. Plus, Big Island has Volcanoes National Park. If you decide to include it, look to stay on the Kohala Coast, with one night on the east side near VNP.

May is IMO one of the best months to visit Hawaii, with generally reliably good weather, yet it's not peak season, which is reflected in rates.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree. Try the Big Island this trip.����
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 07:23 AM

Another vote for the Big Island. Having visited all the islands multiple times, the BI is our favorite.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 09:19 AM

I love the BI, too, and May is a great time to visit. The snorkeling is wonderful on the BI.

I'd look at staying in the Kohala coast area. We've stayed in a condo in the Kohala Beach Resort area, and it was nice. It's convenient to the King and Queen's shops and some great beaches. We're looking at going again this spring, and I think I'd probably choose a condo in the Mauna Lani area over the Kohala Beach Resort area because of the snorkeling a Makaiwa Bay and the proximity to the Foodland at Mauna Lani, plus, it's closer to Mauna Kea and Hapuna beaches.

We've only been to the BI twice, but we really loved snorkeling at Captain Cook and Two Step. Our daughter was 9, I think, on our last trip and she did well snorkeling at both places.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 09:58 AM

You mean the Waikoloa Beach Resort, kureiff? I think you'll like the Mauna Lani better, especially the snorkeling, both at Makaiwa and Honokaope beaches. Then there's Waialea a few miles north.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 10:51 AM

I'd also visit Kauai and Big Island, maybe Kauai for 4 days and the last 8 on Big Island with one night in Volcano and the rest in Kohala area. You will likely get a better condo rate by booking for a full week on BI.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 12:06 PM

FaceInTheCrowd, yes! Thank you for correcting me. That's exactly what I mean. And it's confusing because there's the Waikoloa Beach Village further up the mountain where I definitely would not want to stay.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 05:03 PM

It's actually Waikoloa Village (vs. Waikoloa Beach Resort)
And the village is only a short drive to many beaches, and there are nice views from many of the complexes, so not a bad place to stay at all, imo.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 07:40 AM

Thanks, Sylvia! I'm not sure I could have screwed up more names.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 08:02 AM

How about the whole trip on Big Island of Hawaii? Many people stay longer along the Kohala Coast, then spend some nights in Volcano.

You have long flights to and from Hawaii. I wouldn't split between two islands.
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 10:20 AM

I agree with ChiSue, 12 days on BI alone would be better use of your limited time.
There's so much to enjoy on Big Island