Search

Help Find Right Island

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Find Right Island

My hubby and I are in our early 30s w/ no children. We have never been to the Caribbean. So far our favorite vacation has been Maui. We did not stay in the crowded Black Rock mega resort area, but in a nice condo on Napili Bay. We snorkeled every spot on Maui, tidepools and all.
1. Must be able to snorkel from the shore/beach and do LOTS of it in a variety of spots around the island.
2. Lots of scenery for my photography passion
3. Safe relaxing atmosphere
4. Active things to do besides snorkeling like hiking or kayaking. Adventure!
5. Clean hotel/resort/condo w/AC and queen-king size bed. Ocean view not required.
Pluses-- Sandy beach, Spa, no more than $400 USD a night. The less expensive the better -- would love something more in the $250 or less range that's a Hotel/condo/resort on a snorkeling beach. Thinking about going early May.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Your post is showing under the Caribbean forum, so dare I suggest the stunningly scenic island of K`auai (e.g. Princeville Hotel-has OK snorkeling at hotel, but many other snorkeling options a short drive away) Also, river and ocean kayaking options. Lots more Hawaii snorkel site info. in the <font color="blue">www.wizardpub.com</font> guidebooks (e.g. Kaua`i and Hawaii Revealed)

Equally recommend the Big Island of Hawaii, (e.g. Hapuna Prince &amp; Mauna Kea hotel/resort have OK snorkeling with great beaches) best snorkeling we have seen in Hawaii is within an hour's drive along the Kona coast with snorkel boat/kayak options. Home of Hawaii's only <font color="red">active </font> volcano.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks but looking for a Caribbean island this time!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Sounds like St John would be the island for you.Lots of beach accessible snorkeling spots with pretty calm waters..most of the time.
For accomations..most people rent villas but there is also the Westin Resort and Caneel Bay Resort which would probably have less kids than the Westin.

Here are some websites for villas:

www.vivacations.com
www.caribbeanway.com
www.gallowspoint.com
www.caribbeanday.com

Good luck and the planning is part of the fun!

Christie
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Forgot to mention that 2/3 rds of the island is a National Park..so that would help with the hiking/exploring part of what you are looking for.

Christie