Hawaii

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii

So possibly going to Hawaii this January. We have not been for decades. We spent time in both Maui (2 times) and Kauai (1 time) at that time. We were in Oahu but only for a day or two. We have never been to the Big Island. I thought all were beautiful. Please tell me a bit about the big island. If we were to go there what area should we stay on the Big Island. I think we will only have 7 days and at the most 10 days. Sounds like it could be a bit wet in late January. Seems like most go to Maui. What are all of your thoughts.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 06:27 PM

The Big Island has many different climate zones, January in Kona is still usually pretty dry. If your frame of reference is Maui / Kauai, you'll be astonished by the distances between places. We usually recommend to our friends that they plan at least 2 weeks, splitting up their time at minimum between Kona and Hilo sides and planning day trips north and south as appropriate. We have a condo in the less visited Southern district of Ka'u - we get a lot of people for a few days who are planning to explore south Hawaii Island and Volcanoes NP now that it's open again. And then they move onto Hilo / Hamakua coast for a while or Kailua Kona...point being, plan your moves and locations to avoid a lot of unnecessary driving. More traditional beaches are on Kohala Coast, less traditional along Hilo and south of Bay (rocky but beautiful). Big resorts Kohala Coast, sort of funky vacation town Kailua-Kona. Historic and cultural points all around.

Don't miss out on Hilo - that's where it's often rainy. Much to see and do and it's not usually all day rains. Hamakua Coast is beautiful and if you enjoy car trips with interesting stops, makes for a fun day trip or two.
On our first visit, we went to top of Manuakea. Awesome!

What are you interested in? Instead of trying to give you a tour book, can probably suggest or recommend around your specific interests.
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

We like hiking, walking, snorkeling, possibly a day of golf if not outrageous, beach time. We are pretty open to most outdoor activities. Are you saying we need 2 weeks for the Big Island?
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 06:58 AM

Kona coast will be the best best for weather, snorkeling, lodging options, and beaches. Fabulous scenery, archaeological sites, nice little towns, terrific dining options (fresh fish, local grass-fed beef, international cuisine) all over the island. There are golf deals at resorts, but you have to look for them (and mountain and municipal courses, but ditto for deals). Volcano National Park and Hilo is an easy day trip, and the drive (formerly Saddle road) is stunning. You will want to see more after 7 days (so come back or try to stay longer).
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 05:39 AM

Our first trip to the big island was around a week, we left wanting for more...subsequent trips became two weeks. If you have two weeks for your initial trip, I think you'd be very happy with the choice.

You'll have time to explore in a leisurely pace - with a blend of everything and not feel rushed. Some people like to have a go-go-go vacation, that's not us. We like to do day trips combined with beaches, cultural sites, museums, shopping and "just being"...having time allows you time for being open to opportunities of whatever.

The only place I would differ with Sylvia's advice is that, if you stay for two weeks, spend most of your time on the Kona side (we like Kailua-town, as we aren't resort people and really enjoyed several rental condos in the area south of Kailua near Keauhou bay) and then take 5 or so days plus your travel day and stay in a different part of the island - we chose HIlo - and explore from there. Hilo is wonderful and staying there (rain and all) is just different. There is a lot of tourism emphasis on the Kohala coast and Kailua-Kona (this is not bad) and there is still tourism presence in Hilo but it co-exists with ordinary people going about their day to day. The beaches along Kalanianaole Ave. in HIlo are incredible and visiting some of them is difficult for anything other than a look on a day trip.

Just my .02 - seven days, ten days, two weeks...whatever works for you, my prediction is you'll enjoy your visit and want to come back.

Last edited by TJM_70; Jan 6th, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 06:35 AM

I don't disagreed at all, TJM! If there's time, staying in a different location is a treat ( even if it's just a night at the camping cabins up at VNP). BTW, is your local golf course really closed (temporarily or for good)? It's been on our bucket list for quite a while (glad we got a couple of stays at Kapoho in the past few years).
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

great info, if we don't make it this year, I will keep for another time. Any thoughts suggestions on Kauai or Maui.
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Tidy, if you make it, I hope you get to see lava flowing as it's something I always wanted to see (someday!)
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 03:47 AM

There's no lava flowing now.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 05:26 AM

And likely no lava for some time to come if the scientists are reading things right (volcano study is part black art / part conjecture and part science). But, the Big Island is seeing cleaner, clearer are than it's had in decades.

Sea Mountain golf course closed last year and supposedly was bought by a foreign ownership group. They had been doing minimal maintaining and mowing which makes us think it may re-open or they may have some thoughts of doing so. There was a rumor that the land was going to be placed in agricultural use for growing tea...but it's so close to the ocean in parts that it may be simply a rumor.

So as of now, that's about all we know. None of our local friends have heard anything different. I am not a golfer, but it was a nice thing to have nearby, we had some rental guests who golfed it...when last open it was $35 with cart for 18 holes. Even this non-golfer knows THAT'S a good price for oceanfront course in Hawaii

Are you on-island Sylvia? We don't return until May.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 06:42 AM

We'll be back in April, barring any (more) family issues; I'm looking forward (as a geologist) to seeing the changes, but not the devastation of homes and neighborhoods!
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:07 AM

Yes, I remember you mentioning that once before but had forgotten. The changes in the caldera are difficult to envision; I, too, temper my enthusiasm for seeing nature's work with remembering the devastating impact on an entire community. Now that tourism is picking back up on the Big Island, apparently senseless and uncaring tourists are poking around in Lelani Estates and causing a whole set of new problems for folks.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 01:06 PM

We loved the Big Island--it was gorgeous and we were lucky because it was an award from my husband's company. We spent our initial two nights at the Four Seasons, then moved down to spend four nights in the very well priced Nohea Cottage of Volcano Places (this place was magic, off the rental market for a while, I am so glad to see it back), then 5 nights at the Mauna Kea. We usually stay in one place but the Big Island is so big, we were glad we divided our time the way we did. Volcano National Park (if it's open...) will be beautiful even if lava is not flowing. It's like nothing I've ever seen before, lunar landscape next to ocean. Beach of Mauna Kea gorgeous, swimming pool barely adequate, art world class; it was built by Rockefeller. The Four Seasons is not far away but very different, gorgeous beach with a passerella but you can't swim in it, five wonderful and different from each other swimming pools, wonderful service.