Notices

Hawaii Summer Family Trip

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hawaii Summer Family Trip

We are planning a family trip to Hawaii this summer & I think I have nailed down a high level island itinerary. We are 2 families – 3 kids in total, all boys 4, 5, and 8. We really want to see volcanoes, dive (just the men), snorkel, luaus, rain forest, waterfalls, hiking, etc. I have bought a guidebook that is a family friendly one. Gives nice rec for hotels and dining and activities – I just really need to nail down the when and where.

The flights I am looking at would get us into Honolulu on a Wed. at 3 pm. We have heard really mixed reviews on Honolulu – lots of people say that it is just too crowded, noisy, and full of traffic. Those say stay to see Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head and then get out. So now I am thinking of 2 nights there possibly at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

That would take us to Friday when we would fly to the BI. I am thinking of splitting our stay into 2 there. A few nights on the Hilo side near VNP and a few on the “sunny” side totaling 4 nights.

Then we would fly to Maui on Tuesday and stay 5 nights until our flight leaves on the 10th at about 5 pm. I am looking at the Kaanapali area.

Does this work?? Is it too ambitious?? I am just really confused.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With 3 kids you ought to do two islands maximum with the time you have.

There is more to see & do on Oahu than any other island.

All of the islands have volcanoes. Big Island is the only island with live lava.

Outside of Honolulu/Waikiki, Oahu is rural much like the other islands.

Oahu is also more kid friendly than any other island.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Oahu is also more kid friendly than any other island."

Dusty, sometimes your comments just slay me!

Kaua`i -- where I live -- is VERY kid-friendly. Though I haven't been to Moloka`i yet, I've seen lots of kids on Maui and on Hawai`i...so I'm gonna hazard a guess that those islands are kid-friendly, too.

But MiamiBeachMomma, unless you're planning a 3-week visit, my vote echoes Dusty...just do two islands this time.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auntiemaria

The reason why I always state that is:

All the islands have beaches, Oahu has the most with over 100.

All the islands have shopping, Oahu has better shopping.

All the islands have museums, Oahu the most.

Oahu also has Children's Discovery Center, Hawaiian Adventures Water Park, Sea Life Park, Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium.

The other islands may have a zoo or an aquarium, but that doesn't compare to the options on Oahu.

All of the islands have luaus. Polynesian Cultural Center has more activities for kids than any other luau.

Some of the other islands have ziplines that Oahu doesn't.

Overall, I have to think that Oahu is the most kid friendly for kids of all ages.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MiamiBeachMomma, the "Honolulu is too crowded, noisy, etc." argument has been done to death on fodors.com. Here is some insight:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34515901

Remember, "Honolulu" is a city on the island of OAHU and should not be the definition of the island itself.

Have you tried www.gohawaii.com ? they have a trip planner function that will help you save events and activities in a folder that you can print into a pdf later.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much time is necessary to make it all work?? (I haven’t booked the flights, yet) My husband just won’t let the Big Island go (specifically VNP.) Its taking us so much to get out there (flights are about a thousand bucks a pop) – we need to see it.

One thing I should mention is we love to do the off the beaten path kinda stuff. Even though everyone mentioned the kid friendly things to do – we wouldn’t go to a water park, zoo, or a kids museum (maybe an aquarium if it was AMAZING and I have read there is one on Maui that is superb.) My kids dont even need a kids menu - when in doubt they eat salad or a turkey sandwich.

So anyway – I am the travel planner of the group and I am making the final arrangements but want to make everyone happy. What to do???

BTW I just received the gohawaii brochure in the mail.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the Big Island, people really like the Dolphin Bay Hotel. The owner is amazingly helpful & friendly by all accounts (when I stayed there his parents were hotel-sitting and they were super nice). The hotel would be great for a family with kids, because they have kitchenettes, and separate bedrooms in some rooms.

http://www.dolphinbayhotel.com/

Another reason to stay in Hilo is that the volcano air quality may be a bit risky especially for kids.

You can take a helicopter ride out of Hilo over the volcano which is a thrill.

Sometimes the Hilton Waikoloa is priced quite reasonably, even through Costco. It could be fun for kids with the monorail and boat ride.

http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/index_noflash.asp

I think your itinerary sounds fine, as you'll get a real feeling of the islands, and will probably come back over the years as the kids grow to revisit your favorites.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're planning a similar trip this fall - five days on Maui, a week on the Big Island, and a night in Honolulu before we head back home.

We're looking at condos on Maui so we can cook some meals and save a little money. Check www.vrbo.com for information.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lee Ann
- Just curious how you picked your itinerary and tien frames.
Thx!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops itinerary and time frames.