Hawaii sites not to miss?

Sep 10th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Scott K

Hawaii sites not to miss?

My wife and I are visting Hawaii (Maui and Ohau) in December. I was hoping that people could give us their top 5 (or so) site not to miss on each island. I will tell you that we are not much for ;aying on the beach and like to go ALL DAY! I figure the USS Arizona is #1 but after that I have not a clue. Please help!

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:20 AM
HELP!

Help, please...dont leave me hangin with no idea

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Search

Why don't you do a search of Ohau and Maui under Hawaii. You'll find a great deal of info. already posted without wasting peoples time.

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Scott K

Sorry!!
I didnt realize asking a questions was a waste of peoples time!
I have searched as you suggested but wanted peoples opinion.
Thanks to any who help!

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:28 AM
John R.

Hey Search, why don't you frequent some other message boards that might be more accepting of your rudeness. C'mon, Scott was just asking a simple question and he even did it nicely... so back off.
Scott, I'd help, but I haven't been to Hawaii... yet. The plane leaves Sept 28th...

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Suzie

I think "search" was really trying to help Scott as he had no bites from his post. Maybe he/she didn't want to leave Scott with no ideas. BTW Scott the search on this site will turn up people's opinions. That's pretty much all there is here.

Huenama Bay on Oahu. Take the bus if you don't rent a car, it's pretty easy.
Check out Diamond Head, We visited the University for something different. We drove around the island and got a view of Chinaman's Hat. Also took hikes when we saw trailheads.

On Mauai, see Ioa Needle and hike around. Take Trilogy to Lanai. Eat at the Hula Grill outside at sunset. Seating is in the sand and they have a great Hawaiian band there.

Hope this gets things started. Good luck!

Sep 10th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Scott

Try these:
hawaii.com
planet-hawaii.com
infomaui.com
www.andhawaii.com
concierge.advance.net/forums/hawaii

Sep 10th, 2001, 01:32 PM
jmm

Maui - Haleakala - not to be missed

Sep 10th, 2001, 01:40 PM
scigirl

Scott - There have been lots of good posts on this topic in the past - so it is worth doing a search even after you get some responses to your question.

On Oahu in addition to the Arizona (which you can combine with the Bowfin and Might Mo) I'd suggest 1) drive to North Shore, check out Haleiwa and huge north shore waves. 2) Manoa Falls and/or other hikes 3) Kaanea (sorry- I know that is spelled wrong) in Wainae - a good place to hike and to possibly spot whales. 4) Kailua Beach Park is wonderful, with a reef that keeps in the waves down. Beautiful beach, good place to watch windsurfers, lightly populated during the week, and you can rent a kyack and paddle out to some near-by islands that are bird sanctuaries. (Kaanea point also has a sanctuary for Albatross - if they are nesting when you are here you will be sure to see some very large birds swoop over you). 5) China town for lunch 6) Bishop's Museum and/or Ialani Palace. Finally, some people actually like Waikiki and people watching and wandering around

Maui: Haleakala, road to Hana, whale watching cruise, snorkeling

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip. December is a nice month to visit Hawaii.

I hope this helps.

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Joy

I cannot help with Oahu. I have read that Waikiki and Honolulu are like New York City with palm trees. You might like that. But, this is our reason for not going there. Maui is a beautiful island. Wailea is a very serene, very well maintained area. Lahaina and Kaanapali are well worth a visit. Also, a drive to Kapalua, north of Kaanapali, is a very nice drive. Up-country and Haleakala should surely be seen. Along the road there are many beautiful horses and on some days many, many rainbows. You will love Maui.

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Jenny

Went to Maui for my honeymoon. Here are my picks.
1) Road to Hana
2)Old Lahaina luau
3)snorkeling at black rock
4) Hula Grill is great as previously mentioned

something we did as we spent a week in Maui only was to take an all day trip over to the big island of Hawaii for an organized tour of one of the volcanos ans see the famous black beach (it really did have black volcanic sand)
I have heard the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu is good but haven't been. hope this helps!

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Jeff

Be sure to explore the whole island and not just Waikiki and Honolulu.

Some of the many top attractions:

-Pali Lookout and another lookout

- Diamond Head hike (bring flashlight for dark tunnel)

- Pineapple fields

- Iolani Palace
- View from Sheraton Waikiki's Hanohano Room

- Senator Fong Plantation

Sep 13th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Dianne

Oahu - North Shore, Polynesian Cultural Center,Sealife Park.

Maui - Rd to Hana(dive yourself/use guidebook "Maui Revealed", Sunrise on Mt Haleakala, Whale watching with Captain Steve's Rafting, dinner at Hula Grill, Old Lahaina Luau

I go to Maui every year, and these are just a few of my favorites. Haven't been to Oahu since '99. Hope this helps!

Sep 13th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Celeste

It bothers me to hear Waikiki and Honolulu described as "New York with palm trees." Honolulu is the prettiest city I've ever lived in, and there's nothing like walking through Chinatown and the busy streets of the business sections. When you see Honolulu from the air or water, with the green mountains rising up behind the skyline, it's just gorgeous. People, don't let comments like that keep you from visiting Oahu!

Sep 13th, 2001, 06:31 PM
David

I can really only help w/ Oahu as it's been quite awhile since I've been to Maui. However, here's my list:
Oahu - 1. USS Arizona 2. Hanuama Bay (best snorkeling in all Hawaii IMHO)3.Polynesian Cultural Center 4. North Shore 4. Punch Bowl Cemetary 5. Hike up Diamond Head (very cool) 6. Waikiki Beach (ok beach & you have to say you went)