Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need Kauai HELP: Pahio at Bali Hai Villas OR Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy??

Need Kauai HELP: Pahio at Bali Hai Villas OR Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy??

Sep 12th, 2001, 06:53 AM
Marcie

We have an opportunity to go to either the Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy (Cocanut Coast) or Pahio at Bali Hai Villas (Princeville) on September 22. We've never been to Hawaii before and have no idea what to expect. Which is the better area to stay for a week? Which resort is the best (both are listed as RCI Gold Crown Resorts)?? Must decide quickly and appreciate your help.

Sep 12th, 2001, 09:25 AM
freewoman

If you stay at the Coconut Coast you will be cloer to Poipu which is where all the sun is. I was not impressed with the beach and weather on the north side around Princeville. Poipu definitely has more sun and less rain.

Sep 12th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Lori

The north side Princeville area of Kauai is the most beautiful part of the island. The rainy season is from Dec-March and even when it rains it's usually only for awhile in the morning. My husband and I have been there 3 times and are going again this March. We have gone the past 3 years during the rainy season and have yet to have the trip dampered by the rain. Poipu is a nice area too but if you like mountains and waterfalls the north coast is the best. The beaches there have great snorkeling/scuba too. We have stayed at the Princeville Hotel and Hanalei Bay Resort. Both are right near the Pahio. You won't regret your trip to Kauai. You may become addicted to it as we have.

Sep 12th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Todd

Tough one. Both are so different. Weather on the north side is a gamble. But it's beautiful and uncrowded. Do you like waterfalls and chickens crossing the road? That's the north side. Just got back from a week in Poipu. Was sunny and nice. A bit on the touristy side. You cant lose either way. You must decide what is most important to you. Good luck. Aloha

Sep 13th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Marcie

Thanks guys...it sounds like I should figure out which is the nicer resort since it sounds like I can't go wrong with either area....Marcie

Sep 13th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Margot

Hi Marcie -

We are longtime Kauai travelers and stayed at Bali Hai last year - it's a newer resort and is well appointed. We happen to be partial to the north side of the island and you shouldn't have any particualr trouble with the weather in September. I would definitely go with this resort, even though the Beach Boy is more centrally located, but in a busier and higher traffic area of the island. Have a great time!

Margot