Hawaii - Not to be Missed

May 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hawaii - Not to be Missed

We are leaving May 20 for Oahu, Kauai, and Maui!! Our itinerary is almost completed, we've read every page of the Revealed books, read all the Hawaii posts for about a year now, visited countless websites you have suggested but just wanted to ask one question that will help us with our final plans.

If you were going to Hawaii for the last time (heaven forbid!) and had just two sites or activities that you could see or do on each island, what would you pick?
May 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM

For me...7 Sacred Falls and snorkeling in Honolua Bay on Maui

Kauai...my wife would say helicopter tour with Inter-Island. I would say snorkeling at Ke'e and Tunnels (scuba would be better if you're qualified). I was also impressed with Hideaways Beach...awesome for couples if you get there early and have the place to yourself. You can let your imagination wander here!! Even though everybody knows about it, Queens Bath was very cool.

Oahu...not a big fan so I'll say the Kona Pie at Dukes!!
May 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM

That is a tough question. I felt I needed to see Pearl Harbor and I am glad I did. I also was really impressed/awed with Waimea canyon, felt I needed to see that at least once. I also loved zip lining at Princeville ranch.
May 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM

If you are into history the Navy "Mighty Mo" (signed on board the treaty to end WWII) is in Oahu, HAwaii on Ford Island.

Sunsets are great over the Wainae mountan range and when they play the bugles and lower the flag on the ship it is as if you are living history..

Wyland gallery it is wonderful to see the beautiful sea pictures...he has painted building murals of whales all over the world..some of his sea creatures look so real...

North Coast surfing...and a shave ice at Matsumotos .
May 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Grand Wailea Spa...
May 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM

On Kauai, the view of Makana Peak as seen from Makua (Tunnels) Beach just opposite the beach right-of-way.

On Oahu, drinks and pupus at the House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel as the sun is setting.

-Bill
May 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Oahu-drinks at the Royal Hawaiian at sunset looking at Diamond Head. There's nothing that says "Hawaii" to me more than Diamond Head. If you have time - next door is the (Sheraton) Ala Moana --it was the original hotel on Waikiki-my Mother stayed there during WW2(she was in the USO).
May 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM

On Kauai:

1. Dinner at Hamura's Saimin on a cool, rainy day with lots of locals having "hot soup" on a "cold day."

2. A tour of Allerton Gardens given by the inimitable Al.

3. The sudden waterfalls above Hanalei after a downpour.

4. The Japanese garden at the Kukuiolono Golf Course in Kahaleo, followed by pizza at the Brick Oven.

5. Sunset at Black Pot Pier in Hanalei.

6. Lying supine for as long as humanly possible on Maha-ulepu, Secret, Hanalei, Kekaha, Kahiliwai, or Larsen's beach.
May 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Leaving in three days.....thanks for your inputs. It's amazing how many suggestions I've never heard of before!
May 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Ag3046

I'd have to second the tour of Allerton Gardens (National Botanical Gardens) just west of Poipu on Kauai. A lovely,relaxing, fun trip. Bring a picnic and enjoy the peace and quiet.

May 17th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Oahu - Iolani Palace, a north shore beach

Maui - Haleakala, Iao Valley

Kauai - Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Bay
May 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
iceeu2

Don't miss the lilikoi pie when to go to Hamura's Saimin on Kauai